News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah.  I tried it for a while and found it boring.
PDH!

Berkut

I actually liked it quite a bit, but it definitely lacked that something that gave it replay value. Every game pretty much feels the same.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

I may be the odd one here but I thought it was more fun than most of the earlier iterations. It felt more streamlined and less micro-manage-y. I also liked how you could win this game easily with 3 cities or so.

Martinus

Quote from: Kleves on February 16, 2012, 04:21:34 PM
My major problem with Civ V was that all civilizations played pretty much the same way. I would have liked to see an expansion that focused on making the civs more unique - especially the units.

Err, that's rather silly considering that the choice of "civics" made every game different. Of course if you chose the same civics every time, it felt the same, but there were different choices to make if you wanted to play a militaristic, or a cultural or a ICS civ.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2012, 10:18:51 AM
I may be the odd one here but I thought it was more fun than most of the earlier iterations. It felt more streamlined and less micro-manage-y. I also liked how you could win this game easily with 3 cities or so.

I like it. The elimination of the stack of doom is marvelous.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2012, 10:20:07 AM
My major problem with Civ V was that all civilizations played pretty much the same way. I would have liked to see an expansion that focused on making the civs more unique - especially the units.

Err, that's rather silly considering that the choice of "civics" made every game different. Of course if you chose the same civics every time, it felt the same, but there were different choices to make if you wanted to play a militaristic, or a cultural or a ICS civ.
Eliminating the mega stacks and sprawl were all great.  I just found the game lacking in something. 
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2010, 04:30:14 PM
Fuck yeah!  Can't wait to get this!

Too bad that they're taking religions out, they're a lot of fun.

Probably saving it for an add on.

And Raz was right.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I've had a lot of fun with Civ V.  It felt a lot more cleaned up compared to III or IV.  The new unit system still needs some work, it's not quite right, but overall that game did kill a lot of my time.

Shade

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 21, 2012, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2012, 10:20:07 AM

Eliminating the mega stacks and sprawl were all great.  I just found the game lacking in something.

I found that alone they game was not nearly as much fun then with a friend... though that can be said for many games...

Martinus

The new expansion looks awesome, especially the religion system, which is exactly what we needed in Civ 4.

Essentially, you accumulate religion points (same as culture or science or gold) and can then spend them to found and then enhance your religion.

The first "bonus" is spent on an early religion called a pantheon (like deciding that your civilization will focus on a god of war getting xp bonus for military units, or goddess of love getting happiness bonus etc.). The second "bump" is when you get your first prophet and can found a proper religion (which you choose from the list - but can also name yourself) - the rub here being that there will always been less religion to found than players so there is a race element there.

When you found a religion you also choose one founder belief from the list (the bonus only you get as a founder based on a number of cities - yours or foreign - that follow your religion) and a follower belief that gives the same bonus to every city that follows your religion.

Then you get a second prophet and can choose a second follower bonus and an enhanced bonus for religion spread speed.

There are apparently dozens of bonuses and it looks all very awesome.

Tamas

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Tonitrus

I have been playing recently, and find the diplomacy system almost too crappy to tolerate.

I save another Civ from extinction by giving them a city from the crap-ass I am war with, give them some free strategic resources and units well above their tech level, and what gratitude do I get?  A big "fuck you".  :mad:

Or maybe this is too realistic? :hmm:

Martinus

Here is the list of the available "pantheons" - i.e. the first religion bonus every civ gets to pick (even if it does not found a religion) - they look cool, as this is essentially a way to customize your civ, and like religions of old, they seem closely tied with nature/your starting location:

Ancestor Worship -
+1  Culture from Shrines
Dance of the Aurora -
+1 Faith from Tundra tiles without Forest
Desert Folklore -
+1 Faith from Desert tiles
Faith Healers -
+30 HP healed per turn if adjacent to a friendly city
Fertility Rites -
10% faster  Growth Rate
God of Craftsmen -
+1  Production from cities with population of 5+