And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM's next target=Italy

Started by katmai, February 17, 2010, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

:lmfao:

Cat stew lover skewered in Italy

This Sept. 3, 2003 photo made available Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2010 shows cooking AP – This Sept. 3, 2003 photo made available Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2010 shows cooking show host Beppe Bignazzi ...
By FRANCES D'EMILIO, Associated Press Writer Frances D'emilio, Associated Press Writer – Wed Feb 17, 5:51 pm ET

ROME – Italian state TV has suspended a cooking show host who shocked the nation by saying cat stew is a Tuscan delicacy he swears he has enjoyed many times.

RAI TV confirmed on Wednesday that it had suspended Beppe Bigazzi, the 77-year-old host of a popular morning program that offers food tips and recipes in a country fiercely proud of its cuisine.

When his 27-year-old female co-host looked stunned as Bigazzi said he has eaten cat stew "many times," the white-haired, grandfather figure defended his tastes.

"Why, people maybe don't eat rabbit, chicken, pigeon?" Bigazzi said. He could have added horse meat, which many butchers and supermarket meat departments stock.

"Who's not fat, kills the cat," is how Bigazzi began his lighthearted prattle about cat stew.

Bigazzi claimed cat stew was a Tuscan specialty near the Arno river valley, but co-host Elisa Isoardi looked so embarrassed she ducked behind a cart of fresh salad greens whose healthy virtues the two were supposed to be chatting about.

"Cat, soaked for three days in the running water of a stream" in Tuscany "comes out with its meat white, and I assure you — I have eaten it many times — that it is a delicacy," Bigazzi continued.

His critics included Health Ministry Undersecretary Francesca Martini.

"Cats are pets protected by law," Martini noted, specifically against "cruelty, maltreatment and abandonment."

She lamented in a statement issued by the Health Ministry that Bigazzi's advocating cat stew "hurts sensibility, which is fortunately steadily growing, of citizens toward animals."

The director of the RAI channel the show runs on, Mauro Mazza, called the decision to suspend Bigazzi for an unspecified amount of time as "painful but inevitable."

Only a few moments after revealing his startling recipe, Bigazzi seemed to anticipate he would be barraged with criticism. "Now there will be letters from nature lovers. Why don't they defend rabbits?" he asked.

By Wednesday, two days after the showed was broadcast, the YouTube video clip had recorded more than 55,000 hits, and more than 800 comments registered.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Animal lovers are too gay to function.  Fortunately, they won't exist in the future to come.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Did he publish any recipes before he was taken off the air?

Jaron

Maybe Mono has one you could try out. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

They had a cat meat cooking contest in Australia a couple years ago.  A cat casserole won, they had the recipe on the web at the time.  Apparently they have a huge feral cat population and some people encourage eating them to reduce it.

Crazy_Ivan80

cat-dishes would fit nicely in a culinary program where they make war-dishes.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pedrito

The people of Vicenza, 30 kms from my home town, are known and mocked as "cat-eaters"; it's a centuries-old tradition.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Octavian

Quote from: Pedrito on February 18, 2010, 04:08:35 AM
The people of Vicenza, 30 kms from my home town, are known and mocked as "cat-eaters"; it's a centuries-old tradition.

L.

What do they call you guys?
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

I found this in the norwegian press, if I had found it in english I was soooo... going to post it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pedrito

Quote from: Jaron on February 18, 2010, 04:14:21 AM
What does the "L" stand for?
L33t
Loser
Lampoon
Lost
Legolas
Le Comte du Monte Cristo
Latin Lover
Languish
Londoner
Latinus
Letter
Lesbian
Leopard
Leonardo Da Vinci
Leger
Liechtenstein
Liberian
Librarytarian
List
...Leo

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

KRonn

Cat eating is even more unappetizing than dog eating.   :yuk:

lustindarkness

I would guess cats taste similar to rabbit.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom