UK-Israel relations hit the rocks over Dubai assanation

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:34:02 AM
Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2010, 10:22:52 AM
Nobody in the Govt has described this as an "outrage".

Are you saying the UK foreign secretary is not in the govt?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8521246.stm

QuoteDavid Miliband vows to "get to the bottom" of how the alleged killers of a Hamas leader used fake UK passports in what he calls an "outrage"

My mistake. I was only going by the article in the OP.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:38:22 AM
Wow, what a load of bullshit. Being angry at Israel for putting lives of citizens of a friendly country in danger makes one an antisemite now?
Wow, what stupendous lack of reading ability!  Being unable to even distinguish between Israelis and Jews is, indeed, antisemitic.  If one is angry at the actions of the Israeli government, one does not launch a diatribe against "fucking Jews" unless one is antisemitic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Yes, the whole thing is an outrage. Protestors are flooding Whitehall and Trafalgar Square as we speak.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 09:59:42 AM
MI6 has never used forged passports?  Hmm . . .

UK response seems a tad on the hysterical side.  If this is an "outrage" what descriptors are left when something really serious happens?

Two early casualties of this affair:
+ Mossad reputation for operational competence and plausible deniability
+ British reputation for calm understatement.

There is a difference between forging passports and actually using names and identities of existing innocent British citizens.

It's absolutely amazing to what lengths you will always go to defend your Israeli buddies. They can do no wrong, can they?

If you are going to fake a passport, then you might as well use a real name with the real passport number. The Brits are right to be furious about it, the passport is the Property of the Government that issued to it.

While I usually defend my Israeli buddies to the hilt, I don't think they should be going around killing people in hotel rooms or small cafés in Lillehammer. While he probably deserved being murdered, Israel could legally and legitimately kill him by bombing the capital of country Israel is at war with.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2010, 10:41:18 AM
Wow, what a load of bullshit. Being angry at Israel for putting lives of citizens of a friendly country in danger makes one an antisemite now?
Wow, what stupendous lack of reading ability!  Being unable to even distinguish between Israelis and Jews is, indeed, antisemitic.  If one is angry at the actions of the Israeli government, one does not launch a diatribe against "fucking Jews" unless one is antisemitic.

It's quite clear from both the context of my post and its content that I was speaking about the Israelis, and more precisely, of the Israeli government. It is a figure of speech that is ubiquitous on Languish; people talk about "Americans" when they are talking about the US government doing something; the Falklands thread is full of voices against the "Argies" and it is quite normal to talk about "Russians" or the "Chinese" when criticizing the governments of these countries (for example Raz does it in this very thread, but I don't see you accusing him of Russophobia either).

In this context, only someone operating at an extreme level of intellectual dishonesty or an extreme mental disability could interpret my post as talking about Jews, as an ethnic group.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2010, 10:22:52 AM
Nobody in the Govt has described this as an "outrage".

The Martinus Post quoted Milliband as using those words.

I may have erred in assuming the accuracy of that particular press outlet.   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 06:20:47 AMFucking Jews think they can do anything because their American fuckbuddies will protect them.

And what would happen if their American fuckbuddies weren't there to protect them?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:31:50 AM
There is a difference between forging passports and actually using names and identities of existing innocent British citizens.

It's absolutely amazing to what lengths you will always go to defend your Israeli buddies.

Surely it's not "amazing".  "Disappointing" should suffice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:44:56 AM

It's quite clear from both the context of my post and its content that I was speaking about the Israelis, and more precisely, of the Israeli government. It is a figure of speech that is ubiquitous on Languish; people talk about "Americans" when they are talking about the US government doing something; the Falklands thread is full of voices against the "Argies" and it is quite normal to talk about "Russians" or the "Chinese" when criticizing the governments of these countries (for example Raz does it in this very thread, but I don't see you accusing him of Russophobia either).

In this context, only someone operating at an extreme level of intellectual dishonesty or an extreme mental disability could interpret my post as talking about Jews, as an ethnic group.

I'm a lovable scamp when I do it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Maybe you should remember that "Israel", "Israeli" and "Jew" are not synonymous. Nobody would have complained if you had said "fucking Israelis" instead of "fucking Jews".

Your examples are not comparable at all, even in the case of using "American" in English for inhabitants of the "United States of America". As you must realise, there's not really another short form of that in English other than the more pejorative term, "Yanks".

Or to be precise:

Argentina - "Argies"
Russia - "Russians"
China - "Chinese"
United States of America - "Americans"
Israel - "Israelis" NOT "Jews".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 18, 2010, 10:49:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 06:20:47 AMFucking Jews think they can do anything because their American fuckbuddies will protect them.

And what would happen if their American fuckbuddies weren't there to protect them?

They would be thrashed by angry Arabs, just like they were in 1948. 1956 and 1967.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2010, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 18, 2010, 10:49:13 AM

They would be thrashed by angry Arabs, just like they were in 1948. 1956 and 1967.

:huh: Looks like someone should read up on Israeli history.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 11:09:14 AM

Maybe you should remember that "Israel", "Israeli" and "Jew" are not synonymous. Nobody would have complained if you had said "fucking Israelis" instead of "fucking Jews".

Your examples are not comparable at all, even in the case of using "American" in English for inhabitants of the "United States of America". As you must realise, there's not really another short form of that in English other than the more pejorative term, "Yanks".

Or to be precise:

Argentina - "Argies"
Russia - "Russians"
China - "Chinese"
United States of America - "Americans"
Israel - "Israelis" NOT "Jews".

Ok. I thought they can be used interchangeably (I mean, Jews can mean both Israelis and people of Jewish ethnicity, depending on the context). Notice that Tamas made the same mistake (assuming this is a mistake). In Polish for example, the word for "Jews" and "Israelis" is the same.

Legbiter

Sloppy of Mossad to drop him in an international hotel with full CCTV but otherwise, good job.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.