News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How a New Jobless Era Will Transform America

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2010, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yeah, that's true but still officially it seems to be illegal for them to discriminate based on age (in a lot of countries at least).
You can't legally put on your job advert 'No blacks' but if a black guy shows up to the interview you can reject him anyway, say something about him just not being right for the job. For age I'd guess its the same, they can't say they're looking for a 21 year old to train up and have forever but when a 35 year old shows up to the interview (or they see on his CV he was working back in 2000) they can reject him anyway.
It seems to not be illegal to put your age on your CV yourself so...I dunno. Would it be an advantage?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Well, I guess that it's a product of different bussiness cultures. Over here it's almost required to put things in CVs that in other places are big no-nos, like pictures, civil status, etc.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: ulmont on February 16, 2010, 12:12:35 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 16, 2010, 12:08:53 PM
Well, there's always the multi-state bar; you've still got to take an exam, but at least it isn't the whole shebang.

Try that with Florida* or Louisiana and see how far it gets you.

*While Florida uses the MBE, they have no reciprocity and don't even honor MPRE scores from other jurisdictions.

Same with NJ; the lack of reciprocity is why I want to take my bar in PA.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2010, 06:55:04 AM
I hate people. They put me off(too old, too young, too greedy, too academic, went to a shitty and/or conservative university etc.).

Edited for accuracy. Nothing changed, only removed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

I can put name, gender, age, pic etc on my CV. Though I wouldn't put a pic on it, anyone who would want one for my kind of jobs wouldn't strike me as being very awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2010, 07:43:32 AM
Well, I guess that it's a product of different bussiness cultures. Over here it's almost required to put things in CVs that in other places are big no-nos, like pictures, civil status, etc.

Yes here company's would get in trouble for asking for some of that information.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Same.  Don't even ask about age, gender, marital status, or ethnicity (unless as part of an equal opportunity program) or you're potentially in trouble.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2010, 07:11:16 AM
And what do you mean 'shitty university'?  You went to a shitty university.  What's your problem?

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2010, 04:45:06 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2010, 07:43:32 AM

Yes here company's would get in trouble for asking for some of that information.

Well, I don't think that most of that information is actually required by the prospective employers, but it's customary for candidates to include them. I guess that some could be omitted with no big fuss made about it, although in some situations some stuff is specifically required, like pictures for some positions. When I applied for my first internship after uni, we were told to, in case of doubt, include everything in our CVs.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2010, 05:00:25 PM
Same.  Don't even ask about age, gender, marital status, or ethnicity (unless as part of an equal opportunity program) or you're potentially in trouble.

Can't gender or ethnicity be guessed from the name of the candidate?

citizen k

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 04:12:19 AM

Increasingly not.

The Larch

Quote from: citizen k on February 19, 2010, 04:21:49 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 04:12:19 AM

Increasingly not.

You anglos and your weird unisex names.  :P

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 04:11:00 AM
Well, I don't think that most of that information is actually required by the prospective employers, but it's customary for candidates to include them. I guess that some could be omitted with no big fuss made about it, although in some situations some stuff is specifically required, like pictures for some positions. When I applied for my first internship after uni, we were told to, in case of doubt, include everything in our CVs.

Oh I understand. When I was given examples of how to do CVs for the continent, I was shocked to see people putting on photos and the fact that they were single and unmarried.  Which I can see the later making sense if you are applying for a job that'll cause you to relocate.

Jaron

Even if they don't put their age, its pretty easy to figure out how old or young they are based on their education, years of completion and the length of their work history.
Winner of THE grumbler point.