News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How a New Jobless Era Will Transform America

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2010, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2010, 08:57:01 AM

The problem is that the offshore outsourcing is hitting also high skill white collar jobs, because companies and firms care only about short term bottom line.

It's everyone and everywhere.  That's what capitalism is all about, at least the dominant interpretation nowadays.   This movement will go on increasing thanks to globalization and the creation of middle-classes in emerging countries.  And let's face it, western countries are looking more and more like retirement homes full of aging citizens when the 3rd world is mostly young.

The future belongs to brown pipple :bleeding:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

QuoteIt's funny because I feel the opposite. I feel I missed something by not growing up in the internet, gay rights etc. era. All these things entered my life when I was in my early twenties.
Which would you rather be- flaming and in poverty or a discrete man lover and gainfully employed. :P

Quote from: Grallon on February 16, 2010, 09:18:12 AM
It's everyone and everywhere.  That's what capitalism is all about, at least the dominant interpretation nowadays.   This movement will go on increasing thanks to globalization and the creation of middle-classes in emerging countries.  And let's face it, western countries are looking more and more like retirement homes full of aging citizens when the 3rd world is mostly young.

The future belongs to brown pipple :bleeding:G.
Meh.
The 3rd world isn't really doing much though is it?
The big economic threat is China and their demographics are crazier than even the worst of Eastern Europe's kidless decade.
India though...now India is interesting. Developing and with a surplus of kids.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

That's why China is more dangerous than India.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

From the Article:

QuoteIf it persists much longer, this era of high joblessness will likely change the life course and character of a generation of young adults—and quite possibly those of the children behind them as well. It will leave an indelible imprint on many blue-collar white men—and on white culture. It could change the nature of modern marriage, and also cripple marriage as an institution in many communities. It may already be plunging many inner cities into a kind of despair and dysfunction not seen for decades. Ultimately, it is likely to warp our politics, our culture, and the character of our society for years.

I already miss the hope and functional government of the Kwame Kilpatrick era.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 16, 2010, 08:40:33 AM
Well I certainly picked a terrific time period to graduate from college.
But we're the ones with drive who actually are employed 20 somethings.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2010, 09:43:41 AMBut we're the ones with drive who actually are employed 20 somethings.
Didn't you have to travel halfway around the world for a job? And probably one that doesn't pay particularly well either.

PDH

I take heart in that the experts are mostly united in this. I have faith in their prescience - good times for workers are ahead.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on February 16, 2010, 10:25:39 AM
Didn't you have to travel halfway around the world for a job? And probably one that doesn't pay particularly well either.
I thought Tim did that because he wanted to... not because he had no other option. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2010, 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 16, 2010, 07:25:25 AM
Your blue collars jobs are being taken by Chinamen, Indians, and East Europeans. Live with it. Too bad they are not taking your political culture as well, but hey.

The problem is that the offshore outsourcing is hitting also high skill white collar jobs, because companies and firms care only about short term bottom line. One of the examples is the legal profession - it becomes more and more common to outsource low-end "drudgery" tasks (e.g. due diligence or document review) to India or South Africa and the like. While this may serve as a short-term income boost (since a qualified lawyer reviewing these documents in India or South Africa may be cheaper than a junior trainee who used to perform such jobs in London or New york), in the long term this will stifle the influx of fresh blood into the profession, since trainees will have nothing to train on.

There are limits to how much lawyering can be outsourced. The vast majority of it is jurisdiction-specific.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2010, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 16, 2010, 10:25:39 AM
I thought Tim did that because he wanted to... not because he had no other option. :huh:
He did it to taint an entire other continent.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2010, 10:39:21 AM
There are limits to how much lawyering can be outsourced. The vast majority of it is jurisdiction-specific.

Hooray for an independent judicial branch that enforces protectionism!

...kind of sucks if you want to move around in the US, mind you; you'll be taking another bar unless you're lucky.