News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Me Spend Money On A PC Game...

Started by C.C.R., February 13, 2010, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Dragon Age is a good game, but compared with Oblivion, it pales into insignificance. And I wouldn't really call it highly replayable either... the six careers have quite different starting points, granted, but once Duncan and you reach Ostagar and speak with King Caylan, all the rest is pretty much equal.

C.C.R.

Mount & Blade looks interesting for the price tag.  I'm also a big fan of more open-ended games (Fallout 3 kept me out of trouble for a few months, I'm on my third go-round of Oblivion & I've spent more time playing & modding Morrowind than I've spent with my kids over the last four years), so maybe I'll just play through the Oblivion game that I'm on right now & keep my eyes open for something that just reaches out & grabs me...

Jaron

M&B is awesome. I think what is great about it is unlike most games that make you a very important part of the story from minute 1, in M&B you feel very unimportant from the moment you start it up and get captured by bandits. :P

Perfection!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 12:53:53 PM
Fallout 3 GOTY is $25.00 on Direct2Drive.  It is supposed to be very open ended and replayable.

I haven't played DA or ME2.

Fallout 3 was tremendous funs.  I had fun with Oblivion and Morrowind (and Daggerfall), but Fallout 3 was much better mostly due to the setting.  In fact the Fallout licence oddly didn't add much to the game.  Bethesda could have just made an post nuclear game and called it the "spiritual successor" to Fallout (as Fallout was called the spiritual successor to Wasteland) and it would have been just as good if not better.  I liked Fallout 3 more then actually wanted to (if that doesn't sound weird), due to excellent atmosphere and gameplay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 13, 2010, 10:58:59 AM
Whatever Tamas says, ignore.

Truth.

MB wants you to drive over a team-mate in a kubelwagen.

Double plus truth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 13, 2010, 01:54:03 PM
Mount & Blade looks interesting for the price tag.  I'm also a big fan of more open-ended games (Fallout 3 kept me out of trouble for a few months, I'm on my third go-round of Oblivion & I've spent more time playing & modding Morrowind than I've spent with my kids over the last four years), so maybe I'll just play through the Oblivion game that I'm on right now & keep my eyes open for something that just reaches out & grabs me...
M&B won't really count as "the game" because it is so cheap, but if you can hold off until Fallout: New Vegas comes out (not sure when that is, but not until summer anyway) you won't want to miss that.  If that is too far off to worry about, then I'd say the call for The Witcher at a discount isn't a bad one.  Not much relayability, but a pretty decent story length (just, like DA or the ME series, more an interactive movie than a game).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2010, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: C.C.R. on February 13, 2010, 01:54:03 PM
M&B won't really count as "the game" because it is so cheap, but if you can hold off until Fallout: New Vegas comes out (not sure when that is, but not until summer anyway) you won't want to miss that.  If that is too far off to worry about, then I'd say the call for The Witcher at a discount isn't a bad one.  Not much relayability, but a pretty decent story length (just, like DA or the ME series, more an interactive movie than a game).

Not every game is built so you can play as your "I'm a Texas Cheerleader stuck in the future" fantasy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

C.C.R.

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2010, 10:32:41 AM
Not every game is built so you can play as your "I'm a Texas Cheerleader stuck in the future" fantasy.

They should...

:(

Seen

Quote from: Korea on February 13, 2010, 10:58:27 AM
My vote is for Dragon Age since I love this game and I think it has really high replay value. Also, I didn't care for Mass Effect at all.
While I agree with you DA is definitely worth the money I wouldnt give it a "really high replay value", at all.  :huh:

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, Mount and Blade is awesome. Nothing like running down a bunch of peasants, swinging your sword left and right. Or burning and looting enemy villages, though its too bad that part isn't as interactive.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2010, 10:32:41 AM
I had forgotten about that!  :lol:

That image really struck a chord with you, didn't it?  I'll bet you could do a Texas cheerleader outfit for Dragon Age, if you had the talent and interest.  Let us know how that works out, if you decide that it is worth it.

You couldn't do the role-playing parts of it, of course, because DAO isn't really a role-playing game, but that is not the point for you, I shouldn't think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.