News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Me Spend Money On A PC Game...

Started by C.C.R., February 13, 2010, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

A minor household budget surplus will allow me to purchase a new PC game within the next couple of weeks & I'm looking for suggestions.  Points to consider:

- no MMO's.  Period.
- no Paradox games, no matter how much the map sucks
- Bang for the buck -- I'll spend $50/$60 on something open-ended & replayable, but I'm not spending that kind of coin on a One & Done game that I'll play for two weeks & never look at again...

My preference right now would be an RPG & looking through these boards I'm kind of interested in Dragon Age & Mass Effect 2, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions (especially concerning my Bang For The Buck point above)...

Korea

My vote is for Dragon Age since I love this game and I think it has really high replay value. Also, I didn't care for Mass Effect at all.
I want my mother fucking points!

PDH

Whatever Tamas says, ignore.
Mart couldn't choose a good RPG if he omniscient, prescient, and not full of scient.
Tim will taint your choice.
MB wants you to drive over a team-mate in a kubelwagen.
Berk says a boardgame is better.
Seedy will buy the game to in order to never play you.
Brain likely will have an interest in the farm aspect of any choice.
Syt will...ok, I will leave Syt out of this, your daughter might be on your lap and it is no time for German/Austrian recommendations.
Other than that - feel free to ask.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

C.C.R.

Quote from: Korea on February 13, 2010, 10:58:27 AM
My vote is for Dragon Age since I love this game and I think it has really high replay value. Also, I didn't care for Mass Effect at all.

That's where I'm currently leaning, but I'm looking for thoughts/ideas/comments/suggestions -- including yours.  Thanks!

:ccr

Quote from: PDH on February 13, 2010, 10:58:59 AM
Whatever Tamas says, ignore.
Mart couldn't choose a good RPG if he omniscient, prescient, and not full of scient.
Tim will taint your choice.
MB wants you to drive over a team-mate in a kubelwagen.
Berk says a boardgame is better.
Seedy will buy the game to in order to never play you.
Brain likely will have an interest in the farm aspect of any choice.
Syt will...ok, I will leave Syt out of this, your daughter might be on your lap and it is no time for German/Austrian recommendations.
Other than that - feel free to ask.

:lol:

This should be stickied, IMHO...

Korea

You're welcome. ^_^

Honestly, they're probably the same game but in different universes. I happen to prefer a game with a fantasy setting and one where you don't have to aim.
I want my mother fucking points!

grumbler

Dragon Age is highly replayable for the opening scenes (ie the origins of the various character choices) but replaying the battles is a chore.  It is moderately replayable for the kind of asshole one wants to be as a character.  It is not open-ended at all (it is pretty much an interactive movie, with only a few sets), but it is very well-done for what it is.

I am not a huge fan of this type of game (as you know, I prefer sandbox games), but this is a very good example of this type of game.  Despite its closed nature, replayability is probably as good as any non-sandbox game could be. And there aren't any sandbox games out right now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: PDH on February 13, 2010, 10:58:59 AM

WTF?  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

ME2 v. Dragon Age is a tough call.  The two play very differently- Dragon Age is much more micro-managed.  ME2 is probably more fun to replay, just because a full playthrough of DA runs about 80 hours.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

If you don't mind using Steam, then Mount & Blade is on sale for 5 bucks. Open ended, and plenty mods available.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

A character in Dragon Age does mention that he slept with the hounds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Was gonna recommend mount and blade for cheapness and open-endedness.  Just use mods.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

viper37

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 13, 2010, 10:52:46 AM
My preference right now would be an RPG & looking through these boards I'm kind of interested in Dragon Age & Mass Effect 2, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions (especially concerning my Bang For The Buck point above)...
Dragon Age.
Deeper, longer and better than ME2.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I really enjoyed Dragon age.  I didn't find the combat to get dull or become a chore.  I got a big thrill watching my party plow through hordes of Darkspawn in the deep roads.  My only regret was that I couldn't have more people in my party while playing.  You have lots of interesting NPCs who are pretty well fleshed out and it's a shame that many of them will just have to sit on the sidelines.

I recommend Dragon Age.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

If somehow you've avoided mount and blade so far then I too say that.
The Witcher should be cheap also in case you've also avoided that one. Not open ended but we seem to be going into RPGs and it was good.
The Stalker games must also be suggested.
Never played DA or ME2 myself. I've heard varying reports on both.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Fallout 3 GOTY is $25.00 on Direct2Drive.  It is supposed to be very open ended and replayable.

I haven't played DA or ME2.