jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on February 13, 2010, 02:42:59 AM
Quote from: katmai on February 13, 2010, 02:40:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 13, 2010, 02:35:32 AM
Nuke them.

That's your solution to everything!

Bon Jovi deserved it and you know it.
Are you now wanted, dead or alive?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Greece makes a tiny percentage of the Euro economies. Even if they vanished from the face of the Earth the Euro should be alright.

Richard Hakluyt

The Germans will have to stump up the cash, as usual  :mad:

Iormlund

Anyway, there's an important lesson for Germans and French here too, though I doubt they are interested in listening.

If they keep managing the ECB as if it were their own, these things are bound to happen. If many countries are heavily indebted now is precisely because the two giants kept interest rates artificially low for the last decade when it was their economies that needed to make sacrifices (remember who broke the stability pact first). It is only natural that people borrowed like crazy.

Richard Hakluyt

Well, the euro is (was?) effectively the Dmark; so it has the sort of interest rate regime that works for the Germans. More profligate peoples were bound to borrow under that regime. But what would have happened if the euro had effectively been the peseta or drachma? A whole set of other problems......

Martinus

What a ridiculously alarmist headline.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2010, 10:59:48 PM
In hindsight, wasn't it kind of dumb to institute one currency over a bunch of economies whose needs may be in conflict with each other?

How's that? Don't US states have their own economies that often are in conflict with each other too?

Richard Hakluyt

Wouldn't like to be the Greek PM right now; getting told-off like a naughty schoolboy by a bunch of Germans  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2010, 05:12:08 AM
What a ridiculously alarmist headline.  :lol:
The more alarmist the headline, the more replies one gets. The internet is very simple that way.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 13, 2010, 05:21:04 AM
Wouldn't like to be the Greek PM right now; getting told-off like a naughty schoolboy by a bunch of Germans  :lol:

The Germans should have never left.  :ph34r:

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on February 13, 2010, 05:06:15 AM
Anyway, there's an important lesson for Germans and French here too, though I doubt they are interested in listening.

If they keep managing the ECB as if it were their own, these things are bound to happen. If many countries are heavily indebted now is precisely because the two giants kept interest rates artificially low for the last decade when it was their economies that needed to make sacrifices (remember who broke the stability pact first). It is only natural that people borrowed like crazy.
You are right, we are not interested in listening. Any other monetary policy is not really acceptable for Germany.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2010, 05:13:38 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2010, 10:59:48 PM
In hindsight, wasn't it kind of dumb to institute one currency over a bunch of economies whose needs may be in conflict with each other?

How's that? Don't US states have their own economies that often are in conflict with each other too?
Yes, to some extent.  However, people can freely move from depressed states to booming states, and do so, which lessens the need for distinct monetary policies.  I don't think moving from Greece to Germany is as easy as moving from Michigan to Texas, for many reasons.