News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thanks you Grumbler

Started by chipwich, February 11, 2010, 10:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Back on old Languish in the old EU3 thread you explained the concept of sunk costs. I had a bad money experience today and felt like shit, but playing EU3 reminded me of what you said and now I don't feel like shit anymore.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

chipwich

I want everyone to know how great Grumbler is.

Darth Wagtaros

We all know about grumbler. 
PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

What was it so I can feel better.   :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Jaron

You see

We have this economics term "SUNK COSTS"

You spent Way too much Money on EU3. Lets call it X.

X is your sunk cost.

IF

Johan the Internet Shitty game coder/money pirate decides to make an expansion: Europa Universalis 3: Plight of the Zeelanders for 25 dollars you are OBLIGATED to buy the game because if you do not, your SUNK cost of X will be for NOTHING and you therefore cannot stop playing the game.

So in summary, as long as 25 (or the cost of any expansion) is less than X, you PROFIT buy buying them because otherwise you are out the cost of your original purchase.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Alci, as you have probably guessed, the idea is the precise opposite of Jaron's explanation.  :P

It was a great explanation, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2010, 01:15:45 AM
Alci, as you have probably guessed, the idea is the precise opposite of Jaron's explanation.  :P

It was a great explanation, though.

Jaron would never be facetious!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on February 11, 2010, 11:32:13 PM
You see

We have this economics term "SUNK COSTS"

You spent Way too much Money on EU3. Lets call it X.

X is your sunk cost.

IF

Johan the Internet Shitty game coder/money pirate decides to make an expansion: Europa Universalis 3: Plight of the Zeelanders for 25 dollars you are OBLIGATED to buy the game because if you do not, your SUNK cost of X will be for NOTHING and you therefore cannot stop playing the game.

So in summary, as long as 25 (or the cost of any expansion) is less than X, you PROFIT buy buying them because otherwise you are out the cost of your original purchase.
You should be in marketing. 
PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Eddie Teach

Its ability to split in half is kinda creepy. :jaron:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?