Main Menu

Republican Candidates for the 2012 Nomination

Started by stjaba, February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: stjaba on February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM
Huckabee seems to have limited appeal.

Really disagree.

He's got his show on Fox, which sells himself to conservatives as a kinder, gentler republican (and doesn't antagonize the center, like Palin is doing).  He has the national media profile that few others have right now.  And he has a definite charisma in giving a speech.

I don't think I want him to be President (his economics were awfully to the left), but don't count him out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2010, 02:17:40 PM
He's got his show on Fox, which sells himself to conservatives as a kinder, gentler republican (and doesn't antagonize the center, like Palin is doing).  He has the national media profile that few others have right now.  And he has a definite charisma in giving a speech.

I don't think I want him to be President (his economics were awfully to the left), but don't count him out.

He *is* a kinder, gentler Republican. I wouldn't be surprised if his moderation on crime were a bigger impediment to his nomination than his social conservatism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: stjaba on February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM
Huckabee seems to have limited appeal.

Really disagree.

My parents are speaking highly of him, probably because he comes across as an honest fellow.
He also strikes me as someone who is likely to be more of a social conservative as an individual than as a politician for some reason.  In any case, I'd take him over Palin any day of the week.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: AnchorClanker on February 11, 2010, 02:57:23 PM

My parents are speaking highly of him, probably because he comes across as an honest fellow.
He also strikes me as someone who is likely to be more of a social conservative as an individual than as a politician for some reason.  In any case, I'd take him over Palin any day of the week.

They'll Willie Horton him.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

In any case, I'd take him over Palin any day of the week.

That is setting the bar pretty damn low though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2010, 03:02:26 PM
In any case, I'd take him over Palin any day of the week.

That is setting the bar pretty damn low though.

Indeed, but social conservatives usually give me hives, but Huckabee doesn't fill me with rage when he talks.
The peculiar inability of many so-cons to see that their personal decisions and personal mores are not and should not be law is something that bothers me... but I've always had the impression that Huckabee was too sensible for crass populist bullshit... just a feeling. 
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 11, 2010, 03:02:21 PM

They'll Willie Horton him.

That would be a pity.  He's a decent, honest fellow.

Caliga

Quote from: Rasputin on February 11, 2010, 08:04:53 AM
QuoteBobby Jindal

our next president

i just want to be on record early
He's an interesting fellow, but he needs an image makeover.  I do see him having a shot, but I think 2012 would be a bit too early.  He's young though and has decades to get elected to the Oval Office still.

A Jindal election would generate tons of good lines too:

ASK NOT WHAT YOUR SLURPEE CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR SLURPEE
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I find the current crop of Republicans and Democrats to be one big ball of suck.

I MISS NIXON.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2010, 04:05:24 PM
Anyway, my money is on Romney at this point.
Yeah, me too.  Pawlenty is too bland for prime time.

stjaba

Really disagree.

I agree he's likable and charismastic. Problem is, I don't see him winning states outside of the Bible Belt. In 2008, the reason he won states was because he was the only half-way viable candidate highly appealing to evangelical voters, and the candidate pool was fairly large and diverse, meaning that a single candidate could win primaries by dominating a single voting bloc, if the voting bloc was large enough. Which explains why he won mostly states in the South and Midwest. I just don't see how Huckabee can get voters outside of his base. Which is a shame, because he's not a sleazeball like most other politicians.

Echoing Yi and Caliga, I too think Romney will be the frontrunner.

Edit: Another problem for Huck is that he isn't a strong fundraiser, or at least he wasn't in 2008. He had to run a pretty bare-bones campaign back then.

alfred russel

Quote from: AnchorClanker on February 11, 2010, 03:07:50 PM

I've always had the impression that Huckabee was too sensible for crass populist bullshit... just a feeling.

Ank, the guy ran on abolishing the income tax.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

AnchorClanker

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2010, 04:26:43 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on February 11, 2010, 03:07:50 PM

I've always had the impression that Huckabee was too sensible for crass populist bullshit... just a feeling.

Ank, the guy ran on abolishing the income tax.  :P

I meant social conserrvative bullshit - do remember that I am in the UK and have missed virtually all US news since Sep 2007.   :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.