News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Republican Candidates for the 2012 Nomination

Started by stjaba, February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 12, 2010, 10:45:11 PM
Huckabee has a very likeable personality, but in 2012 the country won't look for a prom queen, they would look for somebody who can credibly promise to fix the country.  Huckabee ain't it.

Romney can sell himself as the Mr. Fix-it, but he suffers from being to obvious a salesman too eager to make a sale.  He'll have to overcome the perception of being a chamaleon.  Romneycare won't help either.

Bobby Jindal wont run, but he'll be on the VP short list.

Palin is a national Rohrschacht test.  the left hate her because she is married, beautiful, and successful.  In short, everything they've been telling women that they can't have in combination.  The beltway types hate her because she isn't your typical brain-dead ivy league pol.  Obama and Biden make more retarded comments on the average newsday than Palin has in her entire time on the political stage, yet somehow she is supposedly stupid.  The center doesn't like Palin because they don't like polarizing political figures, which is why she will have to work very hard to change public perception on that.  Alternatively, she can just wait until all the MSM go out of business, which shouldn't take too long at the current rate.  Too many conservatives are too eager to support her mainly because of the intense hatred directed at her from the left.

My favourite candidate would be Mitch Daniels, a hugely successful Governor who completely modernized the gov't in Indiana and achieved a budget surplus last year as the only state in the union.

OMG are we living on the same planet? Have you seen her speak publicly? She is a complete idiot - her political views have nothing to do with it - she is just a braindead moron. I may disagree with a lot (most) of the stuff Huckabee, McCain or Giuliani say but I do not cringe with embarassment every time they open their mouths.

Hell, she makes Dubya look like an ivory tower intellectual.

Martinus

Fate

Scott Brown for US President!

There's no way in hell he's going to carry the Massachusetts Senate seat in 2012 with Obama on the ballot, so he might as well run nationally.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on February 13, 2010, 12:41:43 AM
I think that he is right about one thing, at least--a lot of her support on the right comes simply from the fact that the left hates her so much.
There's something to this.  I think Hans is right, though, that different people perceive her in the most remarkably different ways.  Personally I think the key to her success is class over anything else, but class dare not mention its name in American politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2010, 09:48:32 AM
There's something to this.  I think Hans is right, though, that different people perceive her in the most remarkably different ways.  Personally I think the key to her success is class over anything else, but class dare not mention its name in American politics.

I think that particular elephant needs to be discussed before we elect another populist who's not up to the job.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2010, 09:48:32 AM
Quote from: dps on February 13, 2010, 12:41:43 AM
I think that he is right about one thing, at least--a lot of her support on the right comes simply from the fact that the left hates her so much.

She doesn't seem to classy to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2010, 09:55:00 AM
She doesn't seem to classy to me.

I think sheilbh's trying to say she's a little bit more popular with the lower classes because she doesn't come across as an "ivory tower intellectual" the way the Harvard and Yale grads in Washington do.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 13, 2010, 09:57:34 AM
I think sheilbh's trying to say she's a little bit more popular with the lower classes because she doesn't come across as an "ivory tower intellectual" the way the Harvard and Yale grads in Washington do.
Sort-of.  I think the type of reaction she provokes is likely derived from class and I think it's strength and the sheer vociferousness of it certainly is. 
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2010, 10:03:07 AM
Sort-of.  I think the type of reaction she provokes is likely derived from class and I think it's strength and the sheer vociferousness of it certainly is.
If "stupid, ignorant, and very proud of it" is a class, then you've got a point. 

Fate

Those damn Harvard and Yale elitists. Who the hell really wants to finish their term as governor? True Americans duck out of their responsibilities and go on a ghost written book tour.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2010, 10:10:55 AM
If "stupid, ignorant, and very proud of it" is a class, then you've got a point.

I think many people felt insulted by her.  Not because she was beautiful or whatever nonsense Hans was going on about but because it was felt she was chosen simply because she was a woman in a vain attempt to win Hillary voters.  It is odd that many conservatives defend what is essentially an affirmative action choice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2010, 03:54:04 PM
I think many people felt insulted by her.  Not because she was beautiful or whatever nonsense Hans was going on about but because it was felt she was chosen simply because she was a woman in a vain attempt to win Hillary voters. 

Anybody feeling insulted by that deserves to be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2010, 03:54:04 PMIt is odd that many conservatives defend what is essentially an affirmative action choice.

True, although they felt they had to counter the Dems one

Fate

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 13, 2010, 04:11:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2010, 03:54:04 PMIt is odd that many conservatives defend what is essentially an affirmative action choice.

True, although they felt they had to counter the Dems one
The Dems didn't go with Hillary... :huh:

(White women are the largest beneficiary of affirmative action in the US.)

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2010, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2010, 10:10:55 AM

I think many people felt insulted by her.  Not because she was beautiful or whatever nonsense Hans was going on about but because it was felt she was chosen simply because she was a woman in a vain attempt to win Hillary voters.  It is odd that many conservatives defend what is essentially an affirmative action choice.

That's not affirmative action; it's just pandering.