News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Travelling in South East Asia

Started by Zanza, January 18, 2010, 02:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 18, 2010, 10:48:24 PM
Penang is awful.  Every trip there is one step closer to suicide.  There is absolutely nothing to do or see there in the entire town.  Penang is a nice place to live but a horrible place to visit.

I enjoyed it, but it was part of the "just living" approach not the "I'm touristing to party and see fancy things" so that matches your description.

QuotePhuket is great, only Patong is an overrun tourist trap, the rest of the island is lovely.

Nice to hear.  I guess I just went to the wrong place.

QuoteReally though, with only 4 days, and little interest in beaches or nightlife, your destination is clear in my opinion.  Angkor Wat.  It's simply amazing.  I guarantee you won't regret going there.

I concur.

Zanza

I consider going to Angkor Wat for a weekend. While I find it interesting, I doubt I would find it interesting for more than a day or a day and a half...

Monoriu

I've done Bangkok at least 10 times, and Kuala Lumpar 3 times (once on business, and once I was a little kid following the parents).  That means I only went to Kuala Lumpar once as an adult *and* on my free will  :P

There is nothing particularly wrong with Kuala Lumpar.  Our issue with KL is that it is in the same category as Bangkok, but Bangkok is superior is almost every aspect.  The city is not as attractive, the food is not as good, the people are less friendly, the hotels not as modern, the internet is censored...

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Zanza on January 19, 2010, 05:17:56 PM
I consider going to Angkor Wat for a weekend. While I find it interesting, I doubt I would find it interesting for more than a day or a day and a half...

It's a really big place, a day and a half is kinda the minimum just based on distance.  You really need to to rent some sort of transportation to see it. I hired a motorcycle driver to drive me around.  $5 per day.  Spoke good English too.

Zanza

Alright, I am going to Bangkok this weekend. What's to see there? My father said there were nice temples and palaces?

Are you up for a beer, DisturbedPervert?

I'll go to Angkor Wat for Easter and will have two full days there. :)