News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Travelling in South East Asia

Started by Zanza, January 18, 2010, 02:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

So I just learned that I'll have off for the Chinese New Year on February 15th and 16th. :yeah: So I could fly somewhere from Singapore for a total of four days (maybe even start in the evening of the 12th). Where should I go?

Does anybody have a suggestion regarding these possible destinations:
Kuala Lumpur    
Jakarta    
Bangkok
Phuket
Sri Lanka   
Saigon
Chennai
Hong Kong
Manila
Bali
Angkor Wat

Any other interesting destinations?

Which of these is worth 4 days. I'll likely make brief trips to some of them at some other point, but probably won't have 4 days off again while I am in Singapore.

I'll most likely travel alone, so I guess I am more interested in sights than say nightlife or beaches or whatever.

Barrister

I have it on good advice you should skip Sri Lanka.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pat

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2010, 02:56:26 PM
So I just learned that I'll have off for the Chinese New Year on February 15th and 16th. :yeah: So I could fly somewhere from Singapore for a total of four days (maybe even start in the evening of the 12th). Where should I go?

Kuala Lumpur    
Jakarta    
Bangkok
Phuket
Sri Lanka   
Saigon
Chennai
Hong Kong
Manila
Bali
Angkor Wat

Which of these is worth 4 days. I'll likely make brief trips to some of them at some other point, but probably won't have 4 days off again while I am in Singapore.

I'll most likely travel alone, so I guess I am more interested in sights than say nightlife or beaches or whatever.

Four days, eh? Don't go to Jakarta. Don't go to Manila (See what I wrote earlier today in another thread). Horrible cities of no or little touristic value.

I say you SHOULD go to Sri Lanka! It's not very big. Four days is enough to see Colombo and a day-trip inland (and there's a lot to choose from to go and see). And it's not chaotic or poor or dirty.

KL is pretty nice as well. It's got a monorail! You can just ride around in it and see the city. Or you can see it from the top of the Petronas towers (just make sure to be there very early in the morning - the tickets are sold out fast).

You could go between KL and Singapore by bus (they're nice and western standard) which would allow you to see some of the country-side. On your way there you can explore the historically interesting city of Malacca of EU CoT fame.

Bali is nice if you want to try surfing, but don't expect to learn it very well in just a few days.

Pat

Oh and Sri Lanka isn't a place you'd probably end up in anyway some time or another, since it's a bit out of the way, while KL is something of a regional flight hub which you'd probably see sooner or later anyways. And I'd say it's probably the most exotic place on the list (just don't repeat Monos mistake of getting a pre-packaged tour).

PRC

Don't go to Jakarta.. if you go to Java go to Jogjakarta that way you could go to Borobudur and Prambanan which are both awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Josephus

I've heard Bali is pretty nice, but I've never been that far south or east.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

I'll echo what others have said - I've not been in Asia for decades, but when I was, Jakarta was a shit-hole to be avoided. Borobodur and Prambanan were both well-worth the visit (as was Bali, if you avoid the coastal resort area).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Never been to Asia myself but I've heard good things of Hong Kong.
Plus- you get to meet Mono :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2010, 02:56:26 PM

Kuala Lumpur    
Jakarta    
Bangkok
Phuket
Sri Lanka   
Saigon
Chennai
Hong Kong
Manila
Bali
Angkor Wat

From personal experience:

Phuket is pretty shit.  It's basically and overrun tourist trap, not unlike the shitty package deal Mediterranean resorts.

Penang/ Georgetown is pretty interesting town to visit.  I didn't stay long, but had friends who did and loved it.  It's an interesting cultural mix.

Hong Kong is a nice accessible Asian town, lots of English spoken and modern convenience.  It's a good spot to take a break from the more remote places or as an "easing in" to Asia.

Bangkok has some decent sights, so it's worth spending a few days if you're traveling in the area but I wouldn't make it a main destination.

From what I've heard:

Bali is nice for relaxing, but depending on where you go you may run into the Phuket type crowd as well; Angkor Wat is amazing and worth seeing.

DisturbedPervert

Penang is awful.  Every trip there is one step closer to suicide.  There is absolutely nothing to do or see there in the entire town.  Penang is a nice place to live but a horrible place to visit.

Phuket is great, only Patong is an overrun tourist trap, the rest of the island is lovely.

Really though, with only 4 days, and little interest in beaches or nightlife, your destination is clear in my opinion.  Angkor Wat.  It's simply amazing.  I guarantee you won't regret going there.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 18, 2010, 05:57:28 PM
Never been to Asia myself but I've heard good things of Hong Kong.
Plus- you get to meet Mono :w00t:

Normally I'd be delighted to meet any languishite, but I'll be away during the Chinese new year holidays. 

HisMajestyBOB

I just got back from Hong Kong, and it is awesome. Four days should be plenty.
And I think most things will be open on the Chinese New Year, unlike in China (I think) and Korea. Lot's of signs there were advertising sales and special Chinese New Year hours.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Thanks for the suggestions and tips so far. :)

I will not go to Bali because I think I'll rather go there at the end of my stay when I will have about 7 days off. And now it is apparently still rain period, so going there in late April should be better.

Chennai and Saigon are out because I would need a visa (WTF) and that's just too much of a hassle.

My father has been to virtually all those places and suggested to go to either Bangkok or Hong Kong. Hmm.

I will go to Kuala Lumpur some other time for just two days. That should be enough I guess. I might try that for Angkor Wat too. Flights from Singapore are really cheap, so I should be able to afford a couple of weekend trips. 

Caliga

I've only ever heard excellent things about Angkor Wat.  A guy I used to work with adopted a kid from Cambodia and spent a month there as part of the process.  He said Angkor Wat is the most amazing thing he's ever seen, and he's extremely well-travelled.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points