CIA plan to influence European opinion leaked

Started by jimmy olsen, March 31, 2010, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

After thinking on it a bit, it struck me that this may have been an intentional leak.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2010, 10:04:10 PM
What are the benefits in doing so?

CIA guys don't have to do something now which lightens their work load.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I know it's a novel idea, but what do you guys think about this being leaked on purpose? Too far-fetched?

Iormlund

The US gave the impression that Afghanistan didn't matter when it decided to shift focus to Irak. There's no way of fixing that now.

Admiral Yi

You get the benefits of feedback without losing face if it turns out to be an unpopular idea.  Also known as running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Agelastus

I actually missed Yi's post. :Embarrass:

In particular I would note that of all the European nations committed to Afghanistan, it only mentions France and Germany in relation to the withdrawal of the Netherlands. In particular, Italy, an equvalent contributor, is not mentioned.

It strokes the ego of both the French and the Germans; Sarkozy and Merkel can imagine they are more important to the USA than Brown or Berlusconi (when in reality, all four are equally unimportant.) It also makes them think their troops are more valued than those of other nations. It also strokes the ego of the general public in the two nations, now it has been released. The suggestions themselves are fairly innocuous, and the wording suggests that most of these are suggestions to be passed on to the two relevant governments, not to be carried out by the CIA itself. In fact, the wording seems deliberately ambiguous in places, although that may simply be "officialspeak".

I suspect this is just one part of a calculated package to keep the Germans and French "on-side" this year.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM
I don't understand what is offensive about the proposed CIA plan.

Exactly my thoughts.

Could this leak be part of the plan?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on April 02, 2010, 05:38:45 AM
The US gave the impression that Afghanistan didn't matter when it decided to shift focus to Irak. There's no way of fixing that now.

If it can shift one way, it can shift the other.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2010, 07:13:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM
I don't understand what is offensive about the proposed CIA plan.

Exactly my thoughts.

Could this leak be part of the plan?

You aren't paid to think.  You're paid to take bullets.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2010, 07:52:18 PM
And that 50 year string of CIA incompetence continues. Can't they do anything right?
They recently successfully managed the defection of an apparently senior Iranian nuclear scientist.  But aside from that...
Let's bomb Russia!