News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CIA plan to influence European opinion leaked

Started by jimmy olsen, March 31, 2010, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

That's what you get for letting Mormons and Evangelicals run your PR, people.

Get more gays in the CIA. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 01, 2010, 05:21:05 AM

We elected a gay guy as President once.  Our country fell into civil war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2010, 06:20:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 01, 2010, 05:21:05 AM

We elected a gay guy as President once.  Our country fell into civil war.
Even Martinus wouldn't suggest that gays are fit for leadership roles.  Their inherent selfishness makes that impossible. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

What's the problem? That it leaked? Seems like a good idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on March 31, 2010, 08:24:39 PM
How do you distinguish between the CIA sitting on its ass doing nothing and getting something right? :rolleyes:

You don't.  I'm just saying its relative effectiveness should not be judged on well-publicized (and often exaggerated) blunders, given that the other side of the equation is less publicly known. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

I don't understand what is offensive about the proposed CIA plan.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM

It involves the CIA.  But seriously, as inocuous as it may seem, it's red meat for anti-Americans & conspiracy nutters.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2010, 09:39:49 PM
The main goal was Bin Laden and they failed.
No, that wasn't the main goal at all.  You are arguing the equivalent of "the purpose of the US WW2 military in Europe was the capture of Adolph Hitler and they failed."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Nothing.  This is non-news, brought to you by an outraged Timmay.  SSDD.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It doesn't offend me. The fact that it leaked is what pisses me off, that's gonna cause blowback.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2010, 06:57:19 PM
It doesn't offend me. The fact that it leaked is what pisses me off, that's gonna cause blowback.
:lol: European blowback largely consists of a few sharp words at dinner parties across the continent.  You should, however, be more careful in more excitable areas of the world :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

This looks very much like an on purpose leak.

edit: It was classified confidential for fuck's sake.  Confidential is what they classify the lunch menu in the federal government.

Agelastus

Perhaps you should consider the possibility it was leaked deliberately.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

You know what, guys?  I think there's a possibility this may have been leaked out on purpose.

sbr

A lot of times agencies leak things on purpose, I think that might be what happened here too.