News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is British democracy due for an upgrade?

Started by Josquius, February 09, 2010, 06:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

It's hard not to have sympathy for Brown.  It's got to be galling when you plot and scheme your whole career to get a job, and then when you get there, you find out that you're the worst Prime Minister since Rosebery (with the exception of Callaghan).  When you look up and realize that you aspire to be as successful as Neville Chamberlain and Arthur Balfour, you're in a bad way.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martim Silva

You can make adjustments to the current system, but it's just a make-up effort. The core problems lie in the system itself, which is rotten to the core.

As long as your politicians are low-paid and have a LOT more to gain by being in the pockets of the bankers (who give them cusy jobs after their terms, for example), they have little to no incentive to rule in the best interests of the people - they'll just favour the banks and increase the nations' debt.

The British need politicians who care about the people, and the current system has none.

Also, Britain must get rid of the Royals. It is inadmissible to claim that all are trated equally and then have your Head of State chosen by birthright.

Neil

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 14, 2010, 09:59:25 AM
Also, Britain must get rid of the Royals. It is inadmissible to claim that all are trated equally and then have your Head of State chosen by birthright.
That's a stupid idea, and a fallacious concept.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Big disagreement.
Having a a-political head of state is one of the major positive points of the westminister system.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2010, 10:38:05 PM
If I could see a jot of Blair in Cameron he'd have my whole-hearted support.  I see more Neil Kinnock in Cameron.

:hmm:

Actually, on reflection, you may be right. There is something "Kinnocky" about him, isn't there? I wonder if there could be such a thing as "third election in opposition in a row" syndrome.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

A head of state who is both a-political and does not owe their position to other politicians is a blessing. You should give it another go in your own country.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 14, 2010, 05:44:05 AM
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
To be fair the system we're looking at isn't really PR in the continental European way.  We use it to elect Mayors and I think Ireland use it for their Presidential election.  In terms of Parliaments I believe the only country with this system is Australia - but it's more present in the Commonwealth than elsewhere.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Agelastus on February 14, 2010, 11:40:34 AM

A head of state who is both a-political and does not owe their position to other politicians is a blessing. You should give it another go in your own country.

Can't see that it makes any difference one way or another if the HoS has only ceremonial powers.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: dps on February 14, 2010, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 14, 2010, 11:40:34 AM

Can't see that it makes any difference one way or another if the HoS has only ceremonial powers.

The British monarch has vast powers, but in ordinary circumstances it would be unseemly to deploy them.

As an example, British officers receive their commissions from the Queen. If a future PM transgressed, tried to seize unconstitutional control for example, it would be the work of a moment to get rid of him.

I admit here is a problem if the monarch is a silly person lacking a sense of duty; this was a problem for us back in 1936. Even so we came out of that problem far better than most other countries of that era.

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 14, 2010, 04:57:38 PM
The British monarch has vast powers, but in ordinary circumstances it would be unseemly to deploy them.

As an example, British officers receive their commissions from the Queen. If a future PM transgressed, tried to seize unconstitutional control for example, it would be the work of a moment to get rid of him.

I admit here is a problem if the monarch is a silly person lacking a sense of duty; this was a problem for us back in 1936. Even so we came out of that problem far better than most other countries of that era.

Fortunately, the current line seems to breed decent and serious candidates for the throne. Edward VIII seems to have been an aberration.

Both Charles and his son William have shaped up nicely and look like they will make fine successors to our present Queen.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on February 14, 2010, 05:05:50 PM
Both Charles and his son William have shaped up nicely and look like they will make fine successors to our present Queen.
Charles?! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 01:50:07 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 14, 2010, 05:05:50 PM
Charles?! :o

My opinion of him improved when he ditched the bitch...er...sorry, she's supposed to be a "saint" isn't she...

Besides, what has he done to make you think he will be a bad king?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josquius

He'll do the job OK. He just better keep his gob shut.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on February 15, 2010, 08:36:02 AM
Besides, what has he done to make you think he will be a bad king?
Poundbury, the Daily Mail in 3D.  Defender of the 'faiths'.  Numerous irritating comments.  'I want to be your tampon' :bleeding: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 08:50:37 PM
Poundbury,

No worse than Milton Keynes or any of the other idiot "social engineering via towns" projects we've had to endure. And to be honest I tend to agree with him when he lambasts aspects of modern architecture.

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 08:50:37 PMthe Daily Mail in 3D.

This one you need to explain.

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 08:50:37 PMDefender of the 'faiths'.

I have an open mind about this one. It may be a way to tie non-Christians more tightly to Britain.

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 08:50:37 PMNumerous irritating comments.

There isn't a man in the public eye who hasn't irritated me from time to time. Doesn't mean I don't think he's shaped up well.

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 08:50:37 PM'I want to be your tampon' :bleeding: <_<

Private conversation. It also definitely shows that the Queen did not play Phillip false!!! :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be