Two questions: Can anyone read kanji, and can you iron really old silk?

Started by Caliga, February 07, 2010, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2010, 08:53:57 AM
Jeez this is even worse - the pic is now a mirror image of itself  :lol:

You got the wrong side.
Corrected.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Agelastus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 09, 2010, 08:43:42 AM
Stop with teh stupid "lets return it" idea. Returning it would be trashing the memories of American soldiers.

Why do you hate America, Caliga?

In what way does returning a personal item of such significance to the kin of the dead owner(s) "trash the memories of American soldiers"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Agelastus on February 09, 2010, 11:07:42 AM
In what way does returning a personal item of such significance to the kin of the dead owner(s) "trash the memories of American soldiers"?
I have to say I might feel differently if these were personally obtained by my grandfather (who fought in the European theater) or my great uncle (who actually fought in the PTO, and in fact was shot down off New Guinea by the Japanese, but managed to survive)... but they were obtained from Some Random Guy(TM).  Random Guy is dead, and his son didn't care.

Josquius

I don't think it'd trash the memory even then. What with reconcilliation and the 21st century and all that.
My only concern would be in giving up such a cool/valuable item.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2010, 11:51:52 AM
I don't think it'd trash the memory even then. What with reconcilliation and the 21st century and all that.
My only concern would be in giving up such a cool/valuable item.

But you might gain some rather cool contacts to the land of Gozilla and big breasted anime girls.

If the descendants of those soliders (if there are any) should turn out to be stupid jackasses you can still hold on to the items.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2010, 11:53:44 AM
But you might gain some rather cool contacts to the land of Gozilla and big breasted anime girls.

If the descendants of those soliders (if there are any) should turn out to be stupid jackasses you can still hold on to the items.
Big breasted anime girls but 5 foot tall, flat chested and ugly real girls :(
(theres a awesome reality vs fiction picture on the web somewhere...I just can't find it)

Thats true. This is all assuming the descendants of the guy actually care with it being the Japanese stereotype. They could be the same as the guy who gave them up in the first place- or worse, they will demand them back just so they can sell them.
██████
██████
██████

PRC

Quote from: Caliga on February 08, 2010, 10:38:33 PM
British Army epaulet (the brass part) from the mid-18th century

Let's see a picture of this one please!

Caliga

Quote from: PRC on February 09, 2010, 12:28:45 PM
Let's see a picture of this one please!
Dunno where it is.  :blush:

I'll find it eventually, just like how I found the flags eventually.  I have: way too much shit.

Caliga

My brother is going to get the Japs in his Judo club to translate these.  If they can't, they have some affiliation with a club called "Japan-Philadelphia Friendship Society", and he expects someone there can.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2010, 07:51:40 AM
I'm not selling them, period.  Either I'm keeping them, or I'll return them to their families... somehow.
My Great Uncle had some Japanese items, papers, books, what ever, taken off of dead soldiers. He contacted the Japanese Consul some years ago and had them returned. The family of the Japanese soldiers were very appreciative. I think they had a ceremony in Japan, as a way of honoring my uncle.

My uncle is deceased now, having passed away last year. He saw a lot of combat as a Marine combat infantryman. I'm pretty sure that his family still has some other items though.