Two questions: Can anyone read kanji, and can you iron really old silk?

Started by Caliga, February 07, 2010, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Flag #2.  When I was unrolling this flag for the photo, I noticed for the first time that it has a small tag in the lower right corner (out of the frame) which reads "Eniwetok 1943".  My guess is that this soldier was killed during the Battle of Eniwetok Atoll, which occurred from February 17th to February 23rd, 1944, the result of which was that the Japanese garrison was almost completely wiped out (as usual).  I think the guy was referring to that battle and just got confused about the date.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

It is so incredible that you have these.  Put it to a Japanese friend just now- he could not read some of it, but at the bottom it says 'Will of Heaven', and ' Luck in combat, may it last' at the top.

He had more, but it was fragments.  Devotion, loyalty, Japanese Spirit, and such.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Given the extreme reverence with which the Japanese view their ancestors, I am debating making an attempt to return the flags to Japan.  I wish there was a Japanese consulate in Louisville, but it looks like the closest one is in Nashville.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Lettow77

Update: funny you mentioned it, because my Japanese friend is angry you have it. He is something of a nationalist, and thinks disrespect was meant by its condition. He said he'd be interested in buying it off you?

Caliga

I'm not selling them, period.  Either I'm keeping them, or I'll return them to their families... somehow.

Lettow77

He says there are also signatures on it, by the way. Somehow he did not mention that previously.

If its a collective battle flag, I am not sure returning it to 'families' is quite practical. Is selling it to a Japanese person who admires the combatants of his country in WW2 not quite close enough?

Still, I admire your sentiment re: selling it.

(And this is a great guy. He loves the Confederacy, and I love Japan. We get on really well.)

jimmy olsen

Aside from the wrinkles it looks like it's in great condition, I'd talk to a professional about cleaning it rather than trying to do it yourself.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Lettuce, read back through the thread.  When Japanese soldiers were notified that they were to be deployed to the front, it was customary for a village/school to make one of these and the soldier's classmates and family signed them and wrote goodwill messages along with their signatures, and the soldiers carried them personally.  They were commonly looted from dead soldiers, who often tied them around their heads or waists while going into battle (and especially before something like a banzai charge).

Admiral Yi

Lettuce's buddy will be gladdened by the condition of the flag in the last pic.

HisMajestyBOB

If you send it back to Japan, write "Dokdo Belongs to Korea!" on it first.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Grey Fox

Stop with teh stupid "lets return it" idea. Returning it would be trashing the memories of American soldiers.

Why do you hate America, Caliga?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Monoriu