My DVD drive doesn't show up from time to time

Started by DGuller, February 07, 2010, 03:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It has been months since I had a problem, so I'm overdue.  Now my DVD drive has the second episode of disappearing.  While my PC is on, I see the hard drive light lit up all the time, and My Computer doesn't show the DVD drive.  If I switch my computer off, my computer doesn't restart.  On the BIOS boot-up screen, where it shows the names of the drives connected to my computer, I see garbage characters where my DVD drive is, at which point the computer halts. 

I wonder what's the source of the trouble.  Is my DVD drive going bad, or is the problem with my motherboard.  Any opinions?

DontSayBanana

First, have you checked the cable for creep and made sure the ribbon's securely attached at both ends?

It sounds like a problem with 1) the physical connection, 2) the DVD drive's firmware or 3) the BIOS corrupting ATAPI information.
Experience bij!

DGuller

I plugged the SATA cable into a different socket on the motherboard, and the problem seems to have gone away, for now anyway.

Josquius

I had a problem not too long ago where my dvd drive wasn't showing up at all ever, I replaced the cable and it started working totally fine.
So yeah.
You shoudl hope its just luck that your changing has fixed it as having a broken cable is a lot worse than a broken mb...
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Why is it worse?  Isn't the cable a whole lot cheaper and easier to replace than the mobo?

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2010, 09:11:40 AM
Why is it worse?  Isn't the cable a whole lot cheaper and easier to replace than the mobo?
Yes.
Brain-hand disagreement,
██████
██████
██████