News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WWII tank Duel

Started by Razgovory, February 06, 2010, 11:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I have to side with Martim on this one. After all if you try to get a job where he works and you don't speak six languages you're toast.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

While Martim's posts are comedic gold, how an American can argue with a straight face that they respect the right of self determination by one portion of a sovereign nation against the will of the larger portion of said sovereign nation frankly beggars belief.

But that is all I will say on that subject; it is not germane to this thread.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Did any slaves come to California? Were they hot?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Agelastus on February 11, 2010, 02:00:06 PM
While Martim's posts are comedic gold, how an American can argue with a straight face that they respect the right of self determination by one portion of a sovereign nation against the will of the larger portion of said sovereign nation frankly beggars belief.

The principle of self-determination is not nearly that simple.

I doubt most Americans (or anyone) who serisouly thinks about what "self-determination" means, and under what circumstances it is a valid reason for action, be it violent or political, would ever argue that it is any kind of foundational principle that trumps the practical realities that exist.

In other words - it depends.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2010, 02:11:45 PM

I doubt most Americans (or anyone) who serisouly thinks about what "self-determination" means, and under what circumstances it is a valid reason for action, be it violent or political, would ever argue that it is any kind of foundational principle that trumps the practical realities that exist.

So, in your opinion, was Woodrow Wilson a hypocrit, a demagogue, or just a dumbass?  Or a combination?

Berkut

Quote from: dps on February 11, 2010, 02:16:27 PM

So, in your opinion, was Woodrow Wilson a hypocrit, a demagogue, or just a dumbass?  Or a combination?

In regards to what? Did Woodrow Wilson express some kind of unilateral, foundational right to self-determination that extended to everyone, everywhere, under any and all circumstances?

0 rows returned

Agelastus

In other words - it depends.

I agree, and I know its not.

The post was triggered by Yi's comment, actually.

Although in the last few minutes I've discovered that we can now blame all of the Ogaden's, and hence all Somalia's, troubles on the USA's violation of the "self-determination principle" as well!
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2010, 01:32:06 PM

I'm completely lost on the connection between worthless economic policies and assassination attempts.

If there's a connection, we'll have to shoot 3/4 of Congress, most state legislators, and almost everyone who's served as an economic advisor in the exeutive branch in the last 20 years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on February 11, 2010, 02:18:43 PM
The post was triggered by Yi's comment, actually.
What, that Abkhazians have the right to self-determination?  I think they do, and so do the Georgians who live (or were driven out of) Abkhazia.

If 100% of the population of a given area is in favor of independence it seems like a no-brainer to me.  You only have to work out the issues of jointly held assets and liabilities.  Anything between 51% and 100% you enter a vast murky gray area.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2010, 03:16:33 PM
If 100% of the population of a given area is in favor of independence it seems like a no-brainer to me.  You only have to work out the issues of jointly held assets and liabilities.  Anything between 51% and 100% you enter a vast murky gray area.

You also enter a vast murky grey area working out what an appropriate "area" is to consider.  A city...or small town...or county...or what? I'm sure you could find towns in Utah or Vermont where 90% plus are ready to go independent.

Berkut

Even 100% is pretty murky, because then you ahve to ask - well, what size area?

What if 51% of some area want to remain, while 100% of some subset of that area do not?

And if you deide that some percentage of a majority warrants independence, that just encourages ethnic cleansing of those who do NOT wish for it, and the violence that goes along with trying to drive the people who don't agree with you out.

The right to self determination is a vast gray area period, I think.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The minimum size is more a practical issue than a moral one in my mind.

Razgovory

What are you talking about exactly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2010, 05:44:55 PM

What are you talking about exactly.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "The American Civil War," it being a definite action by the USA to suppress the right of self determination by one portion of a sovereign nation by the larger portion of said sovereign nation.

And also "Mew."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jamesww on February 11, 2010, 06:10:18 PM
Isn't it common knowledge, that at the time the plan was publically known about ?
Never heard that.