News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WWII tank Duel

Started by Razgovory, February 06, 2010, 11:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I found this on the net the other day I thought I'd share it.  Some of you have probably already seen it.  But meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qfHgoSTm48&feature=related  It seems to be fairly raw footage of the battle of Cologne.

It is hard to tell what is going on.  I later found this .

http://www.anicursor.com/colpicwar2.html  in which some research is done on the tank battle in the film.  I disagree with one part of his analysis where he disagrees with the official report because he doesn't think it's realistic behavior for a tank crew.  Under a very high stress environment it's difficult to judge what anyone will do.  Besides that it seems well researched.

The way the battle plays out reminds me alot of how I played Combat mission which I suppose is to credit on how realistic that game is.

There are other videos of this same incident with narration, but the first one I found was raw footage and sat around trying to judge what was going on.  Which I thought was interesting.

Anyway I hope you guys find this as interesting as I did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2010, 11:28:32 AM
I found this on the net the other day I thought I'd share it.  Some of you have probably already seen it.  But meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qfHgoSTm48&feature=related  It seems to be fairly raw footage of the battle of Cologne.

http://www.anicursor.com/colpicwar2.html  in which some research is done on the tank battle in the film.  I disagree with one part of his analysis where he disagrees with the official report because he doesn't think it's realistic behavior for a tank crew.  Under a very high stress environment it's difficult to judge what anyone will do.  Besides that it seems well researched.

The way the battle plays out reminds me alot of how I played Combat mission which I suppose is to credit on how realistic that game is.

There are other videos of this same incident with narration, but the first one I found was raw footage and sat around trying to judge what was going on.  Which I thought was interesting.

Not sure what you are seeing as "the official report" claiming anything.  I think it is quite reasonable to assume that the Sherman that was hit didn't know the Panther was there.  Whether other troops had seen the Panther at that point is moot as far as the Sherman is concerned.

Interesting film, though.  No question about that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Yeah...enjoyed that. Thanks

Loved seeing that cathedral. I've seen it in real life and when you see it in historical, war footage, it brings it all closer to home, in a weird way...know what I mean? It's amazing it never came down during the war, I've read it was hit by over 70 bombs.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 06, 2010, 01:54:09 PM

Not sure what you are seeing as "the official report" claiming anything.  I think it is quite reasonable to assume that the Sherman that was hit didn't know the Panther was there.  Whether other troops had seen the Panther at that point is moot as far as the Sherman is concerned.

And unless I missed something, I didn't see anything where he stated that the behavior of the tank crew was unrealistic, either.

Warspite

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2010, 06:45:30 PM
Yeah...enjoyed that. Thanks

Loved seeing that cathedral. I've seen it in real life and when you see it in historical, war footage, it brings it all closer to home, in a weird way...know what I mean? It's amazing it never came down during the war, I've read it was hit by over 70 bombs.

As amazing as the cathedral was, seeing the rest of Cologne really got across how thorough a job Bomber Command did. :pinch:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2010, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 06, 2010, 01:54:09 PM

And unless I missed something, I didn't see anything where he stated that the behavior of the tank crew was unrealistic, either.

I was referring to this
QuoteWhen the Panther had shot he probably was located in or near the dark tunnel (white arrow) and the US troops were not able to see it there before. The red point is the place where the Sherman was located - distance tunnel / Sherman: 340 m / 1.115 ft.. After the hit the Panther was driving to the crossing Marzellenstrasse where he later was destroyed (distance Panther there / Sherman: 120 m / 395 ft.. There are records saying the Panther was already located at the crossing when the Sherman reached Komödienstrasse and they thought it was knocked out. But this seems to be unrealistic. Tank crews typically will not take it for granted that a tank in no mans land would be knocked out. They would shoot at it until it burned, which is what the Sherman crew would have done if the Panther was in sight on the crossing Marzellenstrasse. Following several sources the German tank Mark V (Panther) Ausf. A was from 9. Pz.Div., II. / Pz.Rgt. 33.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Strix

It was odd that the Sherman didn't fireball.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

PDH

Quote from: Strix on February 07, 2010, 10:32:01 AM
Not EVERY Sherman brewed up on the first hit. Contrary to rumors, a good number of them simply did not burn as every crew member was killed by whizzing shrapnel as the 75mm and 88mm rounds passed through them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I came when the Panther burned.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Strix on February 07, 2010, 10:32:01 AM
The Sherman had adequate ammo storage by this point in the war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Well, that was depressing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Strix

I need to find the cool footage that was shown on the History Channel showing a fight between three Panthers and an M18 Hell Cat Tank Destroyer.

Basically the three Panthers were grouped outside of a few destroyed buildings supporting some German infantry which had dug into the debris out front. The M18 came up behind the Panthers on the east side and pretty much took the cupola off one of the Panthers. It than reversed and went around the buildings to the west. By the time the Panthers got their turrets turned it came up behind the last two from behind to the west and shot another one from behind. The footage ended with the last tank fleeing in reverse so that it's frontal armor faced towards were the M18 was operating with all the infantry running helterskelter along side it. It was cool.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Siege

Quote from: alfred russel on February 07, 2010, 01:38:37 PM
Well, that was depressing.

What? War scares you?

Don't worry. There is always some dumbass loser willing to fight and die for you, for one reason or another.

Real men stay home taking care of their families.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 07, 2010, 11:27:59 AM

:(  What a waste of such a beautiful tank.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2010, 09:28:54 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 07, 2010, 11:27:59 AM

:(  What a waste of such a beautiful tank.

Hey, it got better.  They burned the nazis out of it.