News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sen. Shelby and the earmarks

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 05:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So apparently Sen. Shelby (R) has put holds on every single Obama nomine unless the administration moves ahead on two earmarks for his home-state.  That's a $40 billion military contract and a $45 million FBI facility.

What's up with that?  How long will this last?  Is this ridiculous or just the way business ought to be done?

Faeelin

I don't understand. How does he have this power?

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on February 05, 2010, 06:05:37 PM
I don't understand. How does he have this power?
As far as I understand it, every senator can place a hold on someone's nomination.  It's not really a liberum veto, because it can be overcome with 60 votes.  Hmm, let me correct myself, it is really a liberum veto.

Razgovory

I thought Republicans opposed these ear marks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2010, 05:45:36 PM
What's up with that?  How long will this last?  Is this ridiculous or just the way business ought to be done?

It's democracy. One could say "Bread and Circuses", or one could say that he is promoting the interests of his constituency while at the same time supporting his Party. Actually, from a British viewpoint, it looks like a lovely move politically speaking, win/win for the senator in question.

It is probably only happening because the perception exists that Obama is floundering. And if I recall the British press correctly, it's basically the same tactic as the one that allowed Obama to pass his health-care bill (didn't one of the senators sell his vote for it in return for it being funded federally in his home State?)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

DGuller

I can actually see this backfiring, just like it did for Nelson.  The audacity of that move may give ammo to the Democrats and reveal the rotten nature of Republican obstructionism.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2010, 06:21:48 PM
I can actually see this backfiring, just like it did for Nelson.  The audacity of that move may give ammo to the Democrats and reveal the rotten nature of Republican obstructionism.

Agreed. Word is a lot of people on the right are already coming down on him as a pork hijacker. I expect he'll back down pretty fast.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

The audacity of that move may give ammo to the Democrats and reveal the rotten nature of Republican obstructionism.

Sure thing Gullermeister.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 06:29:38 PM
The audacity of that move may give ammo to the Democrats and reveal the rotten nature of Republican obstructionism.

Sure thing Gullermeister.
This is beneath you.

katmai

I've met Barrister, nothing is beneath him.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I have yet to see any evidence that it backfired for Nelson, apart from Hans' claim that he was chased out a restaurant by people angry over pork.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2010, 06:40:27 PM
I have yet to see any evidence that it backfired for Nelson, apart from Hans' claim that he was chased out a restaurant by people angry over pork.

He should have ordered the lasagna.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

dps

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2010, 05:45:36 PM
So apparently Sen. Shelby (R) has put holds on every single Obama nomine unless the administration moves ahead on two earmarks for his home-state.  That's a $40 billion military contract and a $45 million FBI facility.

It used to be that the Senate wouldn't approve a nominee to a position if a Senator from the state where the appointee would be working opposed the nomination.  I can see that as OK;  it generally wasn't abused to keep a President from appointing anyone whatsoever to a position, just individuals that a Senator might have a specific problem with.

This is just BS, though, and I hope Shelby catches hell for it.