News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you get out of a losing streak?

Started by Barrister, February 05, 2010, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Talking about curling in the olympic thread got me thinking of curling in general.

As many of you know, I curl twice a week.  Tuesday we play in the competitive league.

And we haven't won in a couple of months.   :mad:  Now even on the less competitive Thursday night we've lost our last several games in a row.

But it's clearly something mental going on - we're pretty good curlers.  Our skip went to the national championship (the Brier) a few years ago.  In the past we've done very well in some quite competitive tournaments (called bonspiels).  I don't know why we're sucking so much right now.

So any suggestions on how you can snap our of a slump?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 05:02:20 PMwe're pretty good curlers.

I think this is the first time that sentence has ever been written in the English language.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Woody Hayes would slap somebody and then make the team watch war movies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on February 05, 2010, 05:05:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 05:02:20 PMwe're pretty good curlers.

I think this is the first time that sentence has ever been written in the English language.

Not at all.  A person who curls is a curler.  There are plenty of both good and bad curlers out there.

Habbaku

Ragequitting is pretty popular in some Nordic countries.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

And we're supposed to believe a crap speech like that somehow inspired those players to play better? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

How do you get out of a losing streak? Cheat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2010, 05:03:52 PM
Personally, vodka and nepotism.

Throwing a fit and threatening to rage-quit has worked for me so far.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

I have no real idea.

The nearest comparison I can give you is school sports, where I can recall that one term my House lost every football (Soccer if you really must...) match, and then the next term we won them all. I didn't understand it then, and I do not understand it now.

I suspect that your team, or some members of it, are "jaded" in some way. Perhaps a change of routine is needed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

Well part of the problem has been we've had the same 4-man team for the last 3 years, but last fall our second broke his leg in a spectacular manner.  We've found a replacement for him on Thursday nights, but we still scramble to find a spare on Tuesday nights.

Barrister

I found the answer to snapping the losing streak.

We played a team of 12 year old boys, and crushed them.   :menace:

Now let's see if we play any better...

Habbaku

Coincidentally, that's also Grallon's answer to getting out of a losing streak.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien