Obama: Build more nuke plants & close Yucca mountain

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2010, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

IIRC the concern is really only the first 10,000 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Not if you are approaching rationality. From a safety perspective that kind of timescale makes very little sense.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 02:05:18 PM
The 100,000 years stuff is purely political, there are no rational safety reasons for that kind of spec.

Besides who knows what the voters will be like in that time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Vricklund

It will take 100 000 years for the waste to have the same radioactive level as the ore had when it was mined. Everything is relative I guess. Especially when it comes to nuclear physics. :P

The Brain

Quote from: Vricklund on February 17, 2010, 02:28:35 PM
It will take 100 000 years for the waste to have the same radioactive level as the ore had when it was mined. Everything is relative I guess. Especially when it comes to nuclear physics. :P

I don't follow. Are you saying that the 100,000 year design stuff makes sense or that it doesn't?

Agelastus

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 02:32:51 PM

I don't follow. Are you saying that the 100,000 year design stuff makes sense or that it doesn't?

I think his problem is that the oldest known structures surviving in relatively complete form on Earth are only about 5000 years old, and they are hardly undamaged. I think he doubts our engineering is up to the job.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Quote from: Agelastus on February 17, 2010, 02:37:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 02:32:51 PM

I think his problem is that the oldest known structures surviving in relatively complete form on Earth are only about 5000 years old, and they are hardly undamaged. I think he doubts our engineering is up to the job.

The important thing is that from a safety perspective it doesn't matter if the man-made barriers fail after some time (and this time is a lot shorter than thousands of years). If we are designing it to the same safety levels as other things. And there is no really rational reason why we should demand more safety from nuclear stuff than we do from everything else.

DGuller

The reality is actually even more scary than this number indicates.  We're not using the ancient engineering methods to build structures for nuclear waste disposal, we're using modern engineering methods.  The oldest known surving structures built in 21st century are only about 10 years old.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2010, 02:45:30 PMThe oldest known surving structures built in 21st century are only about 10 years old.

Man, that's fucking terrible!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

We could use Boston's Big Dig underground highway for storage. After all, given how much over design it's leaking I'd have to think it's life span for a roadway will be short. Then it could be converted to nuclear waste storage, so as not to waste that cost of 16 billion initial build costs.   ;)

Fate

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2010, 02:45:30 PM
The reality is actually even more scary than this number indicates.  We're not using the ancient engineering methods to build structures for nuclear waste disposal, we're using modern engineering methods.  The oldest known surving structures built in 21st century are only about 10 years old.

These structures really aren't feats of advanced engineering. You bore out a hole deep in the ground under a mountain. You seal the hole.

Barrister

From what I remember the AECL analysis assumed that the man-made barriers failed in a remarkably short period of time, and by man-made barriers I am referring to the cylinders or whatever that the fuel is stored in.  The rest of the barriers are geologic, not man-made, and typically has a lifespan of hundreds of millions of years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 17, 2010, 05:17:17 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on February 17, 2010, 08:09:16 AM
Anyway, Hans, when did Obama declare he was opposed to nuclear power?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnbVr3283o&feature=player_emb

Actually he never says he's against it.  He says he's not particularly for it.  " I have not ruled out nuclear energy". 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R52J2D5QQU&NR=1

But of course you have to see his entire statement instead of being dishonest about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Hrmm. "Nuclear energy is not optimal. I am not a nuclear energy proponent.... my general fview is that until we can make certain that nuclear plants are safe, that I am opposed to Yucca Mountain... unitl the nuclear industry can show they can produce clean safe energy without enormous subsidies, I don't think that's the best option."

A fault line in Nevada? WTF?

Eh. He's got a point about the subsidies.