Obama: Build more nuke plants & close Yucca mountain

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2010, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

When Sweden recently picked the site for final storage the two contenders both wanted to get it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 11:23:53 AM
When Sweden recently picked the site for final storage the two contenders both wanted to get it.

Do you want the Money that goes with a Nuclear Storage site in your county?

• Jahhhh
  • Nohhhh
  • Yahhrån
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2010, 11:31:11 AM

• Jahhhh
  • Nohhhh
  • Yahhrån

Americans do not understand pork.

KRonn

• Jahhhh
  • Nohhhh
  • Yahhrån
Lol...

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 11:35:02 AM

• Jahhhh
  • Nohhhh
  • Yahhrån

I take your moving the City of Kiruna 500 meters down the road and raise you a Bridge to Nowhere.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

frunk

By letting the Yucca Mountain project go forward and then stopping it when they try to use it, they get all the benefits of the pork but none of the waste.

Viking

Quote from: frunk on February 04, 2010, 11:53:32 AM
By letting the Yucca Mountain project go forward and then stopping it when they try to use it, they get all the benefits of the pork but none of the waste.

The only possible response :worthy:

dps

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2010, 11:22:35 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 11:20:05 AM
Yucca seems to be a technical clusterfuck anyway so dropping it may be sensible, I don't know.

Why didn't they secure the approval of the locals at a very early stage? Or did they and then lost it?

Do you want a storage site for nuclear waste in your county?

• Yes
  • No
  • Jaron

I'd rather have it in my backyard than some of the coal slag piles and such we actually had back home.  But people are all like, "OMG, radioactivity!" as if the word itself would kill you.

MadImmortalMan

Nevada's NIBMY's have a lock on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Not just on Harry. There's not a single politician, Democrat or Republican (or AIP, Green, Constitition, CPUSA, Libertarian, SEP, WFP or any other wacko party) who supports it. It's a completely untenable position to take if you want to get elected.

My personal take--NV should have everyone pay them to take the spent rods and store them, and then later on, when those same rods can be used as fuel for more advanced reactors, sell the shit right back to everyone and make money again. There is the problem that a bunch of the promises the feds made to NM were not kept though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

The obvious solution is put nuclear waste on Iranian rockets to be shot into the Sun.

The Brain

Faeelin

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 11:35:02 AM

That part of Nevada was really offered that much pork for it, and Nevada has Las Vegas, which is worried about the effects on tourism.

One of the proposals I suggestsed this summer was that, given tribal sovereignty in terms of environmental laws, we should offer it to a tribal reservation.

Faeelin

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 04, 2010, 01:38:30 PM
My personal take--NV should have everyone pay them to take the spent rods and store them, and then later on, when those same rods can be used as fuel for more advanced reactors, sell the shit right back to everyone and make money again. There is the problem that a bunch of the promises the feds made to NM were not kept though.

Really? My understanding is most people near the waste site in NM were pretty happy with the outcome.

Tonitrus

No one appreciates the value of a third arm until you actually have one.

DGuller

How much would Nevadans get paid to act as a nuclear dumping ground?