Let the attack ads commence! Amazing or Amazingly stupid, I just can't tell

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2010, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

I think I am a tad jealous of the American political process in this single instance. These "attack ads" are so much more fun to watch than our boring and sanctimonious old "Party Political Broadcasts". :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Brutal ad. :pinch:

QuoteAs attack ads, though, it pales beside this barn-burner aimed at Pat Quinn in the Illinois Democrat governor's primary, using a savage clip of the late and much-beloved former mayor of Chicago, Harold Washington:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zns-K8XrOAk&feature=player_embedded
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

That's in a different category.  There is no "WTF" element in it, just a brutal tongue-lashing by a dead guy.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2010, 07:30:40 PM
Brutal ad. :pinch:

QuoteAs attack ads, though, it pales beside this barn-burner aimed at Pat Quinn in the Illinois Democrat governor's primary, using a savage clip of the late and much-beloved former mayor of Chicago, Harold Washington:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zns-K8XrOAk&feature=player_embedded
Ouch.  Somebody didn't bribe hard enough.  He should have known better, given how Chicago politics is based entirely on graft.  I can't think of a single politician to come out of Chicago who wasn't irredeemably corrupt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

DisturbedPervert

Korea

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 04, 2010, 08:28:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2010, 08:26:23 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 04, 2010, 08:18:12 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2010, 07:00:32 AM
I forgot. Elected coroners? WTF? Do you also elect postmen? Street sweepers?

Postmen have to pass a postal worker exam and are federal employees.  Street sweepers are typically contract bidders for the municipality.

Interesting anecdote: even though the United States Postal Services maintains its own HR and pays from its own revenue rather than the treasury, postal workers are barred as federal employees from holding elected positions in the federal government; a friend of mine sued the government so he could run as a senatorial candidate for the Green Party and lost.

Get your sarcasm/irony detector checked, it's not working.  :P

Oh, it is.  If I'd felt particularly cruel, I'd have linked a huge org chart showing positions that must be elected at the municipal, county/parish, state, and federal level. :contract:

Instead, I'll just post a link to this gem; thank Fireblade for this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMRWNNBYAc8

That's fake, right?
I want my mother fucking points!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.