And we're back!

Main Menu

France bars citizenship over veil

Started by Martinus, February 03, 2010, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Ancient Demon on February 03, 2010, 10:26:59 PM

My name was Zagys in the old forum.

Was wondering where you'd gone.  Between garbon off sick, Martinus pouting in a corner, Habsbourg forever absent and Faelin snubbing everyone I was hard pressed to maintain the homo brigade's presence.

Welcome back.  :)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2010, 10:35:36 PM
I've heard of a fatwa that expanded this to something along the lines of it being okay to lie to non-muslims if it serves the purpose of a jihad.
I've heard this, but never seen any evidence.  It would be very unusual.  Taqiyya is a solely Shia thing and the Shia generally speaking aren't into what one Sunni radical cleric calls al-Qaeda's 'insane war on the world' or that sort of thing.  From my understanding taqiyya has no standing whatsoever in Sunni jurisprudence and is very strictly circumscribed in Shia law.

The rules on taqiyya in its modern form were defined by Ayatollah Sistani - because it was relevant again in Saddam's Iraq.  He's said nothing to do with jihad, generally speaking Shia Islam is less keen on it as a concept.

QuoteThe practical issue is that you and Sheilbh are boiling things down to 100% followers and 100% non-followers.  As I've understood it, the typical problem with muslims already comes from followers of Islam who've perverted the "proper" practices.
The practical issue is seeing people who dislike Islam say mainstream Islam has this quaint, millenia old theological quirk when in fact a minority of the Muslim world has the idea at all.  It would be like a secularist saying the problem with Catholicism is the filoque clause.  It's just peculiar.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on February 04, 2010, 08:09:32 AM
Was wondering where you'd gone.  Between garbon off sick, Martinus pouting in a corner, Habsbourg forever absent and Faelin snubbing everyone I was hard pressed to maintain the homo brigade's presence.

Welcome back.  :)

G.

TBR violation! :banned:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pat

I agree with Grumbler's proposal, and I think it'd be important for reasons of symbolism alone.