The first really good Hitchens article in a while (North Korea is the subject)

Started by alfred russel, February 02, 2010, 10:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Looked at the book on Amazon and it seems interesting so I ordered it.

Book's preface was printed by the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/books/excerpt-cleanest-race.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2010, 07:37:05 PM
I've had several other foreign teachers tell they've been told straight up by Koreans that Koreans shouldn't marry foreigners. However I personally haven't run into that and indeed coworkers have been encouraging me to get a Korean girlfriend. Still, there is a lot of ignorance (not malicious I think, just flat out ignorance) here about other peoples and races.

Have you followed their advice?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I'm trying, but none of the guys I know have had success except HMB.   :worthy:

EDIT: Just saw this  :lol:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/books/27book.html
QuoteIf we have trouble seeing North Koreans plainly, they cannot see us at all. Telephone use is severely restricted. (Even the telephone book is a classified document marked "secret)."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

There's got to be thousands of Korean girls with a white boy fetish. Try harder.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2010, 11:30:17 AM
The prose is decent but the insights are not terribly profound.  What did you think was so awesome about it?

Well I know very little about North Korea so it was an interesting read for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on February 02, 2010, 12:02:00 PM
Since China has less compunctions to resolve issues than we do - we should let them deal with the yellow dwarves.

China won't.  They want North Korea to be our problem.  Some world power, they are right on China's border.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2010, 08:37:31 PM
I'm trying, but none of the guys I know have had success except HMB.   :worthy:

Mention your amazing skills at StarCraft.

Martinus

What I find funny is how Westerns often get totally surprised and shocked by the fact that various "communist" totalitarianisms freely employ racism, xenophobia and antisemitism to further their goals. I mean, the same happened in Poland in 1950-1960s.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on February 02, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 02, 2010, 11:33:50 AM
I think he means that having to deal with this horror show is in our future.

I guess you are right, but I suspect that South Korea will be dealing with it most.  Just like Germany dealt with it's commie portion after the wall fell.

To that extent, I think you are missingthe point of his article, which is that looking at North Korea as a "last gasp holdout" of traditional Communism (like East Germany) is not really understanding the problem.

They are not Communists, really, and probably never really were. And they are not going to fall over like the Communist regimes all fell, eventually.

By the same token, 1945-1989 Poland wasn't communist either.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2010, 08:52:37 PM
There's got to be thousands of Korean girls with a white boy fetish. Try harder.  :lol:

How's that going to help Tim, seeing how he is not white?  :huh:

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2010, 02:57:26 AM
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2010, 02:57:26 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2010, 08:52:37 PM

Oh? What am I then? African, Asian, Native American or a Pacific Islander? :rolleyes:

1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on February 03, 2010, 08:31:17 AM
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Asians have slanty eyes but they can still see.  Just not at night.   :rolleyes:

Grallon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 09:10:44 AM

Oh? What am I then? African, Asian, Native American or a Pacific Islander? :rolleyes:

Btw Tim, are you the timortis on the Dragon Age forums who's soloed the game on nightmare?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel