NCAA 2010- No Timmys or Homers allowed!

Started by Ed Anger, February 01, 2010, 07:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: katmai on February 21, 2010, 02:01:18 AM
Some quick notes off a blog of Seattle Times writers who cover UDub.

quotes attributed to Scott Woodward the UW AD

--- The Pac-10 and Big Ten have reached out to both Texas and Texas A&M as possible expansion targets (which makes sense as the thought has always been A&M would have to go wherever Texas goes).

--- An expansion could go beyond two teams and could ultimately be a merging of several conferences to the point where there are only four super conferences.

I've heard (or rather, read) other speculation that any Big 10 expansion might well not be liminted to just one team, but I don't see it as a good idea.  The extreme of putting all the teams into 4 superconferences would be stupid.  That would be 30 teams in a conference, on average.  Why even have conferences at all at that point?  Even if you punted a third of the 1A teams to 1AA, that would still be about 20 teams to a conference.

Really, there's no reason to go beyond 12 teams in a conference (the magic number that lets you hold a conference championship game).  The WAC expanded to 16 teams for a few years, and it was an unwieldly mess.  The MAC currently has 13 teams, but do other conferences really want to model themselves after the MAC?

sbr

Quote from: katmai on February 21, 2010, 12:43:39 AM
Hey Sbr,

Will Oregon be able to field a team come this fall with all the arrests and kids being kicked off team?

:P

I didn't see this before, I thought this was the basketball thread and I don't do college b-ball.

They will be able to field a team, but I don't know how good they will be.  :Embarrass:  The Ducks don't have any more or less legal problems than other Top 25 teams, but it is their best players that do stupid shit, not their scrubs.  I am really curious to see how this Jeremiah Masoli things plays out.  The cops have not said one word since the allegations came out but the other kids that was accused was one of the ones that got kicked off the team earlier this month.  A local columnist did a public records check of the SAE fraternity house where the alleged incident took place:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/01/canzano_questions_for_everyone.html

Quote...

In fact, in the last five years, police have made 57 calls to the fraternity house to take reports that range from public disturbance to someone throwing bricks through a window to a second-floor fire to vandalism to loud music to a report of two people passed out on the front lawn.

You'd expect lots of loud parties. These are college kids and that's what kids do. But if you run a public records request for police activity on the address since 2004 -- and I did this week -- you will find nine pages of reports that show 15 police calls for burglary or theft at the address.

In the last four years, SAE members have called police to report the loss of seven computers, an iPod, a tool chest, and golf clubs, among other items.

How does one fraternity house have so much shit stolen from it?   :lmfao:

Again I am curious how it will play out, if he really did do it that would be the dumbest thing I can think of a college athlete doing.  He already has a robbery arrest on his record, if this is true I guess it won't matter what the pro scouts think of his size and arm strength.

Berkut

And you got all offended back when I made a comment about "typical" Oregon.

:lmfao: x infinity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I'm still waiting for Oregon to use that TEAM SPEED and hang 40 or 50 points on the Buckeyes in the Rose Bowl.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 22, 2010, 11:04:44 AM
I'm still waiting for Oregon to use that TEAM SPEED and hang 40 or 50 points on the Buckeyes in the Rose Bowl.

Me too, when does that game kickoff?

Eddie Teach

I'm sure that Rose Bowl win will be enough to propel the Buckeyes to another national championship game loss.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Hope springs eternal in Ann Arbor:

QuoteWolverines
Sports main: Lions | red wings | tigers | pistons | wolverines | spartans | Outdoors
Posted: Feb. 22, 2010
Victors Rally a big morale boost for Rich Rodriguez
BY MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday's Victors Rally at the Michigan Theater, put together by Ann Arbor businessman Pete Nichols, was a promotion of Michigan football's impressive history, filled with video clips from the past 40-plus years. Proceeds benefited the Adopt-A-Family charity in Ann Arbor.

The 3-hour event celebrated past program successes but also featured a number of speakers showing their faith in the future under Rodriguez, building to his moment as the final speaker.

Broadcasters Frank Beckmann and Jim Brandstatter, former coaches Gary Moeller and Jerry Hanlon, former players Larry Foote and Brandon Graham all took the stage and pronounced their faith in Rodriguez, hoping to rally and unify the fan base after two sub-.500 seasons.

"You are all ambassadors," Brandstatter told the crowd, which included the Michigan coaching staff, their families, some former players and incoming athletic director David Brandon. "Tell everyone out there, pull in the same direction. It will happen, we will win, we will be successful, we will do it the right way. We will do it with integrity. That is what we are."

Master of ceremonies and former star quarterback Rick Leach was among the most passionate speakers and rallied the others, asking them to be part of his "huddle."

At the start, Nichols encouraged the more than 450 fans who paid for admission to retain the positive vibe, pleading with a video message he said he often wants to promote: "Detractors Not Allowed."

Rodriguez was positive, telling the crowd what it meant to get the support. He pointed out that some are trying to take shots at Michigan when the Wolverines are down, but that he "can forgive but I'll never forget, I can tell you that."

He repeated his "all in" mantra, which he has made the unifying slogan of the program and said "everybody else that's not all in -- the hell with them," to a raucous cheer.

The fans gave him a standing ovation and cheered at his assurance that championships and Rose Bowls are in U-M's future.

After a number of speakers pointed out they came from other places, only to be overwhelmed by the appreciation for the school and program, becoming a "Michigan Man" also was the theme Rodriguez used.

He said he asked people how he could become a Michigan Man and determined it's about working hard, being passionate, representing right on and off the field, being a good guy and believing in the university's ideals. He said: "I think I'm a Michigan Man."

"I don't know if I can express in words how much I appreciate the opportunity to coach here," he said.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

So apparently Chip suspended a linebacker for the entire <wink> 2010 <wink> season <nudge> for being arrested for a DUI <nudge>.

LaMichael James is still on the team, apparently, after being arrested for beating up some girl?

And Chip also kicked a receiver off of the team for posting a rant at him about his faux kicking of the linebacker off the team on hsi facebook page. It included this gem:

QuoteAfter the post went viral on the Internet, a second post appeared on Holland's page reading: "chilln thinking of another status to (expletive) with the readers heads, I wish I could block whites as friends and only have blacks LOL, cause apparently I'm misunderstood."

Masoli and friends gang signs suddenly seem pretty minor in context.

I am sure they will all play on the scout team, go to some classes, and be back playing football in no time. Well, except maybe for the receiver - he sucked, so he may stay kicked off the team.

Good thing Kelly has everything under control up there at Nike U!

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2010, 10:59:35 AM
So apparently Chip suspended a linebacker for the entire <wink> 2010 <wink> season <nudge> for being arrested for a DUI <nudge>.

:lol:

Berkut

Quote"It's all unacceptable," Kelly said. "This isn't what the university is about or what this football program is about. Nobody is more concerned about that than we are."

Simms was dismissed from the team.  Kicker Mike Bowlin, also involved in the street brawl, has withdrawn from the team. 

Kelly said he would take action against the other players if he believes there is reason to do so.

"I need to find all the facts first," he said. "I do know the facts in Jamere's case. I know the facts in Matt Simms' case."

If players on his team "don't think I'm serious about this, they don't get it," Kelly said. "If they don't do things the right way, there is a price to be paid :lmfao:."

No Chip, it is you who doesn't get it - of course they don't think you are serious about it - you already proved to everyone that you are most assuredly NOT serious about it.

Talk about reaping what you sow. Could there EVER be a more perfect example???

0 rows returned

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on February 23, 2010, 11:17:04 AM
Berk's hardon for Oregon is disturbing.

Well, what else am I going to pay attention to?

Arizona football, after that disaster against Nebraska?

Arizona hoops, where the Cats are .500?

Ragging on Thug U. is all I've got!

0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2010, 11:21:22 AM
Quit fucking bragging...I dream of .500
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Quote from: PDH on February 23, 2010, 11:22:44 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2010, 11:21:22 AM
Quit fucking bragging...I dream of .500

I wish of a basketball team that could win away from home.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son