The yoke's on you: official flight sim thread

Started by Warspite, January 30, 2010, 10:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

I've had a sudden craving for some flight simulator action. I have fond memories of the good old days when F-22 Raptor, Jane's WW2 Fighters and European Air War all shared disk space on my old P200 MMX. In fact I remember Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

Looking around the market these days though is not too inspiring. Are there any suggestions? Not fussed whether I am bouncing Jerry over Kent or teaching the Taliban to worship JDAM.

Also what is a good joystick to get these days? I miss my old CH Flightstick :(
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

All the kids seem to like IL-2. I lack the patience for hardcore sims these days.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946

It might be cheaper in other places.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

F-16 Falcon: Allied Force is hands-down the more realistic combat flight simulator out there;  it actually takes 40 minutes to cold-start it.

Pishtaco

I've been working more on my flat shaded, mouse controlled sim about straight-winged jets, colonial policing and big-game hunting in the British mandate on Venus in the early fifties.

It's currently looking a bit like this:

Caliga

I tried IL-2 back when it first came out and found it to be impossibly difficult.  I think my like of civilian flight sims is well known on Languish however.  Been about a month since I played FSX though (my Mooney M20 is parked in Brownsville, Texas).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on January 31, 2010, 10:47:27 AM
I tried IL-2 back when it first came out and found it to be impossibly difficult.

Yeah, and there's some real flightsimtards out there that will shoot you down in a fucking heartbeat.  Fucking hackers.

QuoteI think my like of civilian flight sims is well known on Languish however.  Been about a month since I played FSX though (my Mooney M20 is parked in Brownsville, Texas).

LULZ IM IN UR HANGER PLANTING A BOMBZ IN UR MOONEY

Warspite

Is Wings over Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_Over_Europe) any good?

I've seen IL-2, the most recent DVD of it, for £4 on Amazon. Surely can't go wrong with that price.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2010, 11:08:06 AM
LULZ IM IN UR HANGER PLANTING A BOMBZ IN UR MOONEY
Is that what that smell is?  I thought it was all the damn Mexicans in Brownsville.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Well I've just ordered a CH Combat Flightstick, FSX Gold Edition, and am downloading Strike Fighters 2: Europe. :ph34r:

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Alatriste

Quote from: Pishtaco on January 30, 2010, 02:00:09 PM
I've been working more on my flat shaded, mouse controlled sim about straight-winged jets, colonial policing and big-game hunting in the British mandate on Venus in the early fifties.

It's currently looking a bit like this:

Jolly good show, I say...