News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is fillibuster the American "liberum veto"?

Started by Martinus, January 30, 2010, 05:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Pretty sure he meant post-WWII.

And I tend to agree with him that broadly speaking, the years 1950-1980 were just about the least partisan in our history, at least since Washington's first term.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 30, 2010, 11:22:30 AM
Also, which "postwar" period are you talking about?  Post-Civil War?  Post-World War I?  II?  We've gotten quite a few under our belt in the last 250 years, so I'm confused as to which one you're talking about.
Sorry I meant post-Second World War.  I thought that was a standard short-hand, post-World War I was inter-war, I think post-Civil War was the Reconstruction era.  But also I don't think I'd use the inter-war years or the reconstruction years as a wonderful example of bipartisanship :P
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2010, 05:38:46 AM
Originally, a tool of encouraging consensus, eventually preventing the legislative from taking any decision due to partisanship of people involved.

Discuss.
I actually thought of that on the night Brown got elected.  Given how the political landscape changes by one person changing, it's actually even closer to the original liberum veto, which required just one obstinate fool to gum up the works, not 41.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2010, 05:51:25 AM
What are the statistics of Republicans vs. Democrats when it comes to using/invoking filibuster? My understanding is that Democrats are (for some reason) much more reluctant to do so, but this is purely anecdotal.

Anecdotal, or just based upon your prejudice in favor of the Demoncrats?  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I was under the impression that the filibuster of judicial nominees was a relatively rare thing until Bush's presidency. It's happened, what a couple thousand times since then?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2010, 04:19:20 PM
I was under the impression that the filibuster of judicial nominees was a relatively rare thing until Bush's presidency. It's happened, what a couple thousand times since then?

Republicans popularized it during the Clinton administration. Why do you think Bush had so many nominations? Clinton couldn't get many of his out of committee.

Neil

Clearly not.  The US, unlike Enlightenment Poland, can function.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 30, 2010, 09:00:42 AM
It is, but this will change if things ever calm down enough in Washington.

Isn't this like the equivalent of "hell freezing over"?

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2010, 03:42:33 PM
What are the statistics of Republicans vs. Democrats when it comes to using/invoking filibuster? My understanding is that Democrats are (for some reason) much more reluctant to do so, but this is purely anecdotal.

I got it from my usual sources* on American politics but just wanted to double check. :P

*Advocate, HuffPo, Daily Show and Colbert Report

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2010, 10:09:49 PM

Liberum veto dates back to mid-15th century. It started to be used as a purely political tool in mid-17th century. That's still a long time before the Enlightenment-era disfunctionality.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2010, 03:29:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2010, 03:42:33 PM

I got it from my usual sources* on American politics but just wanted to double check. :P

*Advocate, HuffPo, Daily Show and Colbert Report

The leadership does it whenever they can, the Dems just can't do it as much because their caucus is more disunited.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2010, 03:42:29 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2010, 10:09:49 PM

Liberum veto dates back to mid-15th century. It started to be used as a purely political tool in mid-17th century. That's still a long time before the Enlightenment-era disfunctionality.
The filibuster dates back to ages ago.  And it was used as a purely political tool from day 1.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2010, 04:19:20 PM

Holding up nominees became a problem in the 1990's.  I think it was also a problem during reconstruction as well but not with filibuster as much.  They had other methods in those days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on January 30, 2010, 12:07:17 PM
Pretty sure he meant post-WWII.

And I tend to agree with him that broadly speaking, the years 1950-1980 were just about the least partisan in our history, at least since Washington's first term.

Don't forget the Era of Good Feelings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Judicial nominees I can understand, but some ass in Congress is currently holding up a couple Treasury department appointments (relating to international commerce) over slow implementation of some online gambling regulations.  This is really starting to get out of control to the point I am tempted to agree with Martinus' troll - our political class is no longer mature enough to be trusted to use certain weapons only sparingly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson