Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2012, 10:47:31 PM
What kind of bugs are those? I don't recall any major issues while playing, but I might have missed them.

The most irritating ones are when your bridge officers and any badguys in the area + possibly some objects you need to activate to complete the mission fall through the ground and can't be recalled/shot/activated.  I've had it happen three separate times on three different planets (although multiple times on the first planet when I was trying to get it to work so I could finish the mission).  On that first one, it was ridiculous when the enemies dropped through the ground, then started shooting me for flanking damage from wherever they were.  One of the crates also disappeared, and it never registered my activation of the second one, leaving me sitting at 1/3 and having to just drop the mission.

Basically, if you notice your officers aren't with you and are instead unconscious 200+ meters away or won't rally to you, etc, just give it up.

These were new to me.  The ones I remember reporting were a couple of crashes in certain areas inside of a certain base during one of the earlier Klingon missions.  When I was doing that mission this time around, I was thinking "I remember this level...I wonder if I'll be able to make it through" and boom, crash.  Like in the beta, I was able to sort of force my way through it with multiple tries, getting a little further before each crash until I was finally able to finish it (I think this last time it took three tries).

This is using a new install of Windows 7 64 with 16gbs of new RAM, so just in case, I've run memcheck, windows memory diagnostic, and chkdisk to see if maybe something on my end was fucking things up.  Everything has come back good to go, and all my other programs run quite nicely.  vOv  It's just this particular one that is having some MASSIVE problems.  I don't really care all that much about the bugs, since just dropping those missions and moving on isn't that big of a deal, but the crashing and files fucking up part is Real Bad.

Barrister

For whatever the games faults, I've never had any CTD problems. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Yeah, never CTD'ed myself, and this "enemies falling though the ground" also never happened to me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2012, 11:03:25 PM
For whatever the games faults, I've never had any CTD problems. :mellow:

I'm happy for you.  No, seriously, it's good that it's not totally fucked for you.

There are some posts in the tech support section of the forums that are noting they had crashes/problems start with the recent patch as well.  The ones that actually list their specs and such (there are ~eight crash posts on the first couple of pages, two of them list their stats that I've seen) seem to all have 7 64 with bunches of RAM.  Might have broken something with certain setups with that patch.

Edit:  Here's the enemies falling through the ground:  http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=91856

Look at the date on that post.  I ran into that problem yesterday and today, with the first time being that same Medical Supplies mission (some medical ship crashed in the area and some brown people were there to ambush you).  At least his whole BO crew didn't drop down through the ground too like mine did every time.  I guess the mission designer never got around to it.  :rolleyes:  Post 6 notes more locations if you want to try your luck and/or avoid the locations.  These are part of the "To Boldy Go" or whatever missions assigned by some dude to go explore three systems in <name of places where there aren't any named systems, only unknown markers that have to be scanned>.  He'll give you dilithium for doing it, which is why I was even bothering.

Here's a post from yesterday with a crash that is throwing the same error I get: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=249567

Verifying files, as noted and if it even makes it through the process, has no effect.  The only fix I've found so far is to re-download the .hogg texture files (which means you can uninstall/reinstall if you're so inclined), then hope they hold together for a while.

E2: Oh okay, some other posts were saying this latest version of the client has bigtime memory leak problems.  Wonder what else got messed up.  As I said, it was perfectly stable before that patch went through.   If they can fix whatever they broke, it'll at least be a playable buggy mess, instead of an unplayable one.  That would be worth...well...free.

Barrister

Well - I have certainly had the problem of my BOffs falling through the floor.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2012, 09:48:27 AM

You figure out a way to fix it?

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 23, 2012, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2012, 09:48:27 AM

You figure out a way to fix it?

Nope.  Beam out and try again is about it.

MadBurgerMaker

MadBurgerMaker

Hey for those who might be interested, an SA dude (the guy who did the organized containers and something else for Skyrim) got annoyed by the icons of the stuff you harvest from anomalies, so he made a little mod:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3296971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=105#post399957289

http://mod.gib.me/startrekonline/harvesticons.zip

I tried to play again today and got an immediate CTD, but I'm re-DLing the .hoggs right now in case it was some residual fuckup from a previous attempt under the other patch (it patched something when I went to log in the first time).

crazy canuck

I remember when I harvested form anomalies, I couldnt wait to see what I could make with all that stuff.

I stopped playing the game around the time I realized there was no crafting system.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 26, 2012, 08:19:39 PM
I remember when I harvested form anomalies, I couldnt wait to see what I could make with all that stuff.

I stopped playing the game around the time I realized there was no crafting system.

You can make stuff now, although I haven't really gotten into it and just end up selling all that shit on the market.

Barrister

I eventually made the Aegis set for my ship, which lights it up TRON-style. :cool:

szmik

so I downloaded it today.... interface is  :bleeding: Couldn't they import one of Starfleet Command?  :hmm:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: szmik on January 29, 2012, 01:41:48 PM
so I downloaded it today.... interface is  :bleeding: Couldn't they import one of Starfleet Command?  :hmm:

It is.  It's been a source of contention since the beta.

I keep meaning to pick STO back up, but I just can't be arsed.  Fleets are really what keep it together. :(
Experience bij!

szmik

this game is buggy

first my char got stuck in Academy, and now during a space battle against Orion Marauder Bs my ship is stuck in place for no apparent reason(?), just can't move and my torpedoes have lost any effect on the enemy  :mad:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.