GOP introduces their own health care bill---with other stuff in it too

Started by MadImmortalMan, January 28, 2010, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2010, 01:27:20 PM
How do you live on an income tax refund? 
with the money he receives from his income tax refund, he uses it to buy food&pay his rent, instead of buying a new subwoofer or some new furniture.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
What is it with Republicans' hard-on for no corporate tax, and no capital gains or interest tax?  It's even funnier when they talk about it right after saying that the tax system shouldn't discourage working. 

Don't they realize that this results in a highly regressive taxation that rewards investment and discourages work?  Why shouldn't dividends and capital gains be taxed the same as any other income, especially if there is no corporate tax?
False dichotomy.  People don't choose between working and investing.  Working or not working is an allocation of time.  Investing or consuming is an allocation of income.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2010, 01:34:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2010, 01:27:20 PM
How do you live on an income tax refund? 
with the money he receives from his income tax refund, he uses it to buy food&pay his rent, instead of buying a new subwoofer or some new furniture.

Okay.  But is he concerned about the refund itself, or that his net tax liability would go up?  :unsure:

I guess I never understood what was so magic about getting a tax refund when it had forced you to receive a smaller check throughout the previous year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 01:01:43 PMWhy shouldn't dividends and capital gains be taxed the same as any other income, especially if there is no corporate tax?

This is another example of using taxes to promote behavior. The thinking presumably is that incentivizing investment creates jobs by providing capital for growth. The more investment capital there is, the easier it is to get. The easier it is to get the lower the barriers are to growth and innovation. The lower the barriers, the more entrepreneurial enterprises will spring up blah blah blah.

I'm rather cold on the concept of using taxes as a behavior modifier, but there you go.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2010, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2010, 10:39:42 AM
Quote from: Fate on January 29, 2010, 09:13:51 AM
When you translate this from GOPtard spin to American English, the word "revenue-neutral" means you have to exclude Medicare, Social Security, and military spending from the budget calculus.
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
You shouldn't reply to him.  It just encourages him.
When Neil is right, he is right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2010, 11:04:03 AM
I didn't agree to that. :mad:
That's why the troll hasn't gotten hungry enough to find a new bridge to hide under somewhere else. :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2010, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2010, 11:04:03 AM
I didn't agree to that. :mad:
That's why the troll hasn't gotten hungry enough to find a new bridge to hide under somewhere else. :mad:
But you're still here.  :hmm:

Fate

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2010, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: Fate on January 29, 2010, 09:04:18 AM
Faeelin, you're a stupid liberal. Intelligent conservative economists have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that as you decrease tax rates, you increase tax revenues. Indeed, as the limit of the tax rate function approaches zero, tax revenues approach infinity. Reaganomics 101 dude.
actually, it looks more like a bell curve than anything else.  As you increase it, the marginal gains are less.

:lmfao: You mean you could get a Republican like Hans to admit that there's a point at which they shouldn't argue for additional tax cuts? I'll believe it when I see it.

alfred russel

The Republican assault on the middle class continues. A family making $60k with 2 kids pays a lot less than 10% in taxes. But a high earner would win big under this plan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2010, 01:28:50 PM

Dividends should be taxed like all other income.  Dividends from foreing companies should be taxed higher. 

No, they should be taxed at the cap gains rate. Otherwise, why not just pay your "dividends" in the form of stock repurchases? In a textbook world, a stock repurchase benefits shareholders by the same amount as a dividend, only a stock repurchase is in the form of a cap gain.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2010, 02:42:50 PM
The Republican assault on the middle class continues. A family making $60k with 2 kids pays a lot less than 10% in taxes. But a high earner would win big under this plan.
To be devil's advocate, is that how it would work?  I think standard deduction was mentioned, so the 10% isn't really the 10%.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2010, 01:39:06 PM
False dichotomy.  People don't choose between working and investing.  Working or not working is an allocation of time.  Investing or consuming is an allocation of income.
Up to some point.  If people are taxed more for work than for investments, they may choose to work less and invest more to supplement their revenues.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2010, 01:41:31 PM
Okay.  But is he concerned about the refund itself, or that his net tax liability would go up?  :unsure:

I guess I never understood what was so magic about getting a tax refund when it had forced you to receive a smaller check throughout the previous year.
I can't answer for his specifics, however the general idea of the tax refund (and I've had numerous debate with people, trying to convince them to pay less taxes during the year and instead invest the money), is that if you have that money in your pocket during the year, you will spend it on all kind of things.  More expensive clothes, a little bit more travels, a little bit more booze/cigarettes/drugs, while when you get a big lump sum a year later, you buy something big, or you use it for critical needs.

It's like forced saving without interests.  When banks don't pay us any interests, we're mad, but when we do it to ourselves, it's ok ;)