GOP introduces their own health care bill---with other stuff in it too

Started by MadImmortalMan, January 28, 2010, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 29, 2010, 07:22:01 AM
Elimination of most deductions.  The plan would actually be revenue-neutral.
No tax on inheritance, wich means you still lose a few billions there, and do not promote equal opportunities at birth, but rather encourage dynasties.

No capital gains tax.  Wich means, a CEO' yearly wage will now be 49 900$.  And 10 million$ worth of stock options.

No tax on interests.  So, I loan my company some money, they pay me 49,5% yearly interests.  Nice.

No tax on dividends.  Nice, again.  I get paid in stock options, I convert them to actions, no tax on the capital gain, then with these preferred stocks, I get a big quaterly dividend wich won't we be taxed.

No corporate income tax but a tax on business consumption of 8.5%?  What is that?  Every company that buys something pays 8,5%?
That's gonna drive the prices through the roof.

I see it as wishful thinking, and it's a way to reward people who are already rich, without giving more chances to middle class people to become richer.  And it's far from revenue neutral.  In fact, you're losing a ton of money with that.  The potential for abuse is large.

On the positive side though, it makes the US the next best thing to a fiscal paradise.  I would suggest they also institude bank secrecy, after all, the Ev!l government doesn't need to know what you're doing with your money.  And US banks would make a fortune by having the bank accounts of every drug kingpin in the US, instead of seeing that money going to Canadian Banks in the Bahamas.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2010, 06:07:53 PM
Cutting waste and reckless spending.
too bad the GOP isn't good at that.  They're only good at creating more government bureaucracy&regulations everywhere.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2010, 12:19:07 PM
No tax on inheritance, wich means you still lose a few billions there, and do not promote equal opportunities at birth, but rather encourage dynasties.

There is a difference between encouraging dynasties and not discouraging them. There may be some things that do encourage dynasties, but elimination of the inheritance tax wouldn't be one of them. The biggest problem with the tax is the bad PR it gets, frankly. It makes people mad when they can't leave their shit to their kids. It also isn't a very big percentage of government revenue. It's kinda insignificant.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on January 29, 2010, 08:42:41 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on January 29, 2010, 07:22:01 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on January 28, 2010, 06:03:37 PM
So where's all the money going to come from if they slash taxes like that?

Elimination of most deductions.  The plan would actually be revenue-neutral.

According to who?

I'll wait to see what the CBO says about it.   ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2010, 11:47:48 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 29, 2010, 11:32:24 AM
If you eliminate deductions, how will there really be any savings for the average person?
If it's revenue neutral then by definition the average person will break even.

So if the average American won't really save money, how is this "reform"?

Admiral Yi

DGuller

What is it with Republicans' hard-on for no corporate tax, and no capital gains or interest tax?  It's even funnier when they talk about it right after saying that the tax system shouldn't discourage working. 

Don't they realize that this results in a highly regressive taxation that rewards investment and discourages work?  Why shouldn't dividends and capital gains be taxed the same as any other income, especially if there is no corporate tax?

viper37

Quote from: Fate on January 29, 2010, 09:04:18 AM
Faeelin, you're a stupid liberal. Intelligent conservative economists have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that as you decrease tax rates, you increase tax revenues. Indeed, as the limit of the tax rate function approaches zero, tax revenues approach infinity. Reaganomics 101 dude.
actually, it looks more like a bell curve than anything else.  As you increase it, the marginal gains are less.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 29, 2010, 11:40:13 AM
Hans probably believes people like me who live on our income tax refunds are a myth perpetrated by the leftist conspiracy.
Not that I approve of the plan, but if you live on your income tax refund, then it means that with this plan, you will simply have an higher revenue during the year, hence more money in your pocket year long.

The problem is, everything will probably be more expansive, so you'll be revenue-neutral.  Maybe that's what he means ;)

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 29, 2010, 12:26:34 PM
There is a difference between encouraging dynasties and not discouraging them. There may be some things that do encourage dynasties, but elimination of the inheritance tax wouldn't be one of them. The biggest problem with the tax is the bad PR it gets, frankly. It makes people mad when they can't leave their shit to their kids. It also isn't a very big percentage of government revenue. It's kinda insignificant.
If you decide to sell all your properties&funds right now, you would pay taxes on the net product.
I don't see why it should be different once you die.

Without a tax on inheritance, you actually let rich people go richer.  Poor people gets next to nothing, so it's not an issue.  And people buy large insurance policies to counteract the taxes.  So, that's really not an issue for 99% of the population.

And afaik, the tax rate was never 100%, so you do live 'shit' to your family.

And I suppose, that just like here, the main residence is excluded from the calculations? If not, it could be.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 29, 2010, 11:40:13 AM
Hans probably believes people like me who live on our income tax refunds are a myth perpetrated by the leftist conspiracy.

How do you live on an income tax refund? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
Don't they realize that this results in a highly regressive taxation that rewards investment and discourages work?  Why shouldn't dividends and capital gains be taxed the same as any other income, especially if there is no corporate tax?
Dividends should be taxed like all other income.  Dividends from foreing companies should be taxed higher.  That limits the damages from fiscal paradise.

Capital gains taxes is more complicated.  First, there should be a big exemption from selling your own company (here in Canada, I believe the limit is 500 000$, 1 000 000$ for farms).  The rest should be taxed at 50% to encourage people to invest, with one caveat.

Gains on stocks, or stock options given to an employee by its firm, as part of its remuneration package should not have this reduction and should be considered like any other wage income.  After all, if my company gives me an insurance policy, I have to tax myself on it at 100% of the advantage.  Why shouldn't it be different for other types of advantages?

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2010, 01:26:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2010, 01:21:55 PM
Without a tax on inheritance, you actually let rich people go richer.

How tragic. :mellow:
it's not tragic, it's simply the only effect of what's happening.  It has zero impact on the middle class, zero impact on the poor, a small impact on the rich, and a moderate impact on the very rich.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
What is it with Republicans' hard-on for no corporate tax, and no capital gains or interest tax?  It's even funnier when they talk about it right after saying that the tax system shouldn't discourage working. 

Don't they realize that this results in a highly regressive taxation that rewards creative tax planners who spend their time figuring out all the ways you can convert ordinary income into divididend/interest/cap gains and discourages work?  Why shouldn't dividends and capital gains be taxed the same as any other income, especially if there is no corporate tax?

Fixed.
I love the plan.  Should double corporate law firm income overnight.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson