And we're back!

Main Menu

Rest in piece, Mr. Howard Zinn

Started by Jaron, January 27, 2010, 10:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 28, 2010, 01:34:56 PM
Intellectual.  :rolleyes:

I guess being a brain-dead blame America leftist does count as being an intellectual nowadays, at least amongst the academia, which is why "intellectuals" are held in such low esteem nowadays.

The only ones coming across as brain-dead are the types like yourself who fear anything that can't be automatically assumed as gospel truth.  Don't project your phobia of analyzing your source material on us.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2010, 02:45:04 PM
Hobsbawm's a genius

His barely concealed attempt for the mid 19th century middle classes did hurt my feelings though :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2010, 02:59:43 PM
Hobsbawm's a genius

His barely concealed attempt for the mid 19th century middle classes did hurt my feelings though :(
But it is true that the mid-nineteenth-century middle class was more concerned with political change (i.e. they just wanted to be part of the "responsible class' that had a voice in government) than enacting needed social change, and so muffed the revolutions of 1848, which in my opinion was the true "European Catastrophe."  Imagine how European history would have been different if Germany had been unified as a liberal state in 1848.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Hobsbawm's a genius

I assume you mean "contempt"?  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2010, 06:54:51 PM
Hobsbawm's a genius

I assume you mean "contempt"?  :huh:
Duh!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on January 28, 2010, 12:23:14 AM
Quote from: Jaron on January 27, 2010, 10:03:45 PM
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1957283,00.html

One of my favorite historians and professional role models gone. It is sad, but he had a long and decorated career. RiP.

In that article, liberal historian, Arthur Schlesinger jr. calls him "a polemicist, not a historian."

The fact that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck as well as Oliver Stone love him is enough to make me go  :x

I liked "Dogma" and "Alexander". WTF.

Sheilbh

Just though of another one.  As historians go I don't think you'll find anyone more enjoyable to read than Carlyle.  Now he was hardly a moderate, restrained and temperate voice dispassionately surveying the past :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Hansmeister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 09:37:13 AM
Way to stay classy Hans.

This piece of shit supported every genocidal regime of the 20th century (even Al Qaeda after 9-11 when Zinn identified the "real terrorists" as of course being the USA).  He thought Mao's China epitomized true democracy and that the attack on Pearl Harbor was a conspiracy by the US to to build a global empire (him and Pat Buchanan probably got along well).

Howard Zinn loved and defended every evil, barbaric totalitarian state while reserving all his hatred for the US and Israel.  He was an infantile marxist polemicist, whose "scholarship" was laughably riddled with massive factual errors.  he was neither an intellectual nor a historian, only a hateful, deranged piece of shit who spent his life excusing the worst behaviors by the most evil regimes because of his unhinged hatred for his own country and his own race.  Just like that other hatemonger Noam Chomsky.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 30, 2010, 02:28:46 AMJust like that other hatemonger Noam Chomsky.
Chomsky is one of the greatest minds in the history of Linguistics, no matter what you think of his politics.  You are an idiot if you think otherwise; even his sworn intellectual enemies in the field acknowledge as such.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 03:12:58 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on January 30, 2010, 02:28:46 AMJust like that other hatemonger Noam Chomsky.
Chomsky is one of the greatest minds in the history of Linguistics, no matter what you think of his politics.  You are an idiot if you think otherwise; even his sworn intellectual enemies in the field acknowledge as such.

Ideological purity comes first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2010, 03:28:01 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 03:12:58 AM

Ideological purity comes first.
Chomsky is to Linguistics as Einstein is to Physics.  Find it odd that Hans could ignore Einstein's political and religious beliefs while respecting his contributions to the field, while Chomsky ist verboten.  Maybe the fact that Chomsky is alive, and able to fight being steamrolled by the Conservative White-Wash Express?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 03:31:50 AM
Chomsky is to Linguistics as Einstein is to Physics.  Find it odd that Hans could ignore Einstein's political and religious beliefs while respecting his contributions to the field, while Chomsky ist verboten.  Maybe the fact that Chomsky is alive, and able to fight being steamrolled by the Conservative White-Wash Express?
Maybe the fact that Hans made no mention of Chomsky's work in linguistics?

I've not joined in the fray so far because I haven't read anything by Zinn, but Chomsky I've read.  "Conservative White-Wash Express??"  Are you out of your mind?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2010, 07:19:32 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 03:31:50 AM
Maybe the fact that Hans made no mention of Chomsky's work in linguistics?

I've not joined in the fray so far because I haven't read anything by Zinn, but Chomsky I've read.  "Conservative White-Wash Express??"  Are you out of your mind?

Apparently you haven't read Queellus or you'd already know the answer to that :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son