News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

State of the Union thread

Started by Razgovory, January 27, 2010, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 09:35:11 PM
Wow, not a single post during the speech.  I guess I made the right decision to not watch.  I know Obama can speak, it's putting his words into action that I'm still waiting for.
I'm at work and just started watching.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

So far, he pretty much tackled everything & thrown as much as he can under the bus. Shoot enough times, you'll score at a good %.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

I'm not a huge fan of State of the Union speeches in general, but his approach is getting annoying.  I'm not sure if he thinks he's doing a Press Club speech or speaking in front of a congregation, but it seems inappropriate for the occasion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on January 27, 2010, 09:43:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 27, 2010, 07:17:12 PM
Found a couple of places, but what should interest people here is that Obama is going to ask for Don't Ask Don't Tell to be repealed according to a rumor sweeping the net.

EDIT: Can't he just do that by an executive decision like Truman?
Obama doesn't have the courage to do anything on his authority until he wins re-election.

He just told the Senate he was going over their heads via executive order. :contract:
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

I like the idea of reinstituting PAYGO.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

stjaba

Anyone catch the announcement over the high speed rail train? Obama and Biden are going down to Tampa tomorrow to announce that stimulus funds will be going towards building the US's first true high speed rail, which will run from Tampa to Orlando, and eventually down to Miami. There's been rumors swirling over this for a while, so this is no surprise.

In my opinion, it's going to be boondoogle. Both Tampa and Orlando are highly de-centralized. Sure there is plenty of traffic between the Tampa area and the Orlando area, but not enough to sustain a line profitably. Cars are way more convenient, probably cheaper to use, and almost as fast. The main benefit will be "stimulus" eg creating jobs, but IMO there's better ways to invest this money.

To quote The Simpsons:

Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?

Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.

derspiess

He just mentioned his campaign promise to end the Iraq war.  He'd be best served not mentioning campaign promises at all :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"We find unity in our incredible diversity."

Razgovory

Went on about 20 minutes to long.  I feel his efforts to shame the Republicans are futile.  They seem to lack any type of shame.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2010, 10:32:45 PM
Went on about 20 minutes to long.  I feel his efforts to shame the Republicans are futile.  They seem to lack any type of shame.

:lol:

Strix

I tried to watch but Nancy Pelosi just weirds me out which made it hard to focus on Obama.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Fate

I fell asleep. How long until President Brown/McDonnell/Palin?  :sleep:

Alatriste

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2010, 09:43:12 PM
I switched from my kid's cartoons (which he was not watching) to catch a little bit of it (my kid of course came running in from the other room yelling "NO NO NO NO").  Apparently he considers himself a free trader now?  :huh:

Your kid is a free trader? Wow, talk about precocious...

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2010, 10:32:45 PM
He's been using that tactic for a while now, and it still doesn't work so well. The Dems are running the roost, doing business as usual but even more so, which is what has voters so angry! Especially when Obama promised CHANGE! He ought to be trying to shame his own party!    ;)

derspiess

Quote from: Alatriste on January 28, 2010, 03:13:58 AM
Your kid is a free trader? Wow, talk about precocious...

Yeah, he won't shut up about Canadian logging subsidies.