German family granted political asylum in the U.S.

Started by Syt, January 27, 2010, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Washington Post: German homeschoolers granted political asylum

QuoteBy TRAVIS LOLLER
The Associated Press
Tuesday, January 26, 2010; 8:33 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A German couple who fled to Tennessee so they could homeschool their children was granted political asylum Tuesday by a U.S. immigration judge, according to the legal group that represented them.

The decision clears the way for Uwe Romeike (roh-MY-kee), his wife and five children to stay in Morristown, Tenn., where they have been living since 2008. Romeike says his family was persecuted for their evangelical Christian beliefs and for homeschooling their children in Germany, where school attendance is compulsory.

When the Romeikes wouldn't comply with repeated orders to send the children to school, police came to their home one October morning in 2006 and took the children to school. German state constitutions require children to attend public or private schools and parents can face fines or prison time if they don't comply.

In November 2007, Germany's highest appellate court ruled that, in severe cases, social services officials could remove children from their parents.

After that decision, Romeike said, "We knew we had to leave the country."

"During the last 10-20 years the curriculum in public schools has been more and more against Christian values," he said of his decision to teach his children at home.

The U.S. government can appeal the asylum ruling. A spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement declined to comment in an e-mail.

The ruling was issued by Immigration Judge Lawrence Burman in Memphis, said Mike Donnelly, an attorney for the Home School Legal Defense Association. The judge's opinion was not immediately available.

Lutz Gorgens, German consul general for the Southeast U.S., did not directly address the ruling in a statement e-mailed after the ruling Tuesday, but said German parents have a wide range of educational options for their children. Gorgens said the mandatory school attendance policy ensures a high standard of learning for all children.

"Parents [in Germany] may choose between public, private and religious schools, including those with alternative curricula like Waldorf or Montessori schools," said Gorgens, who's based in Atlanta.

Donnelly said he hopes the ruling will influence public opinion in Germany, and that is part of the reason his group offered to represent the Romeikes.

Romeike said in an interview that when his oldest children were in public schools they had problems with violence, bullying and peer pressure.

"I think it's important for parents to have the freedom to chose the way their children can be taught," Romeike said.

The Romeikes took their three oldest children out of school in Bietigheim-Bissingen in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg in 2006. Romeike said the couple was fined the equivalent of about $10,000 over a two-year period.

"We didn't pay it all because we couldn't," he said. "We went to court and tried to fight against it - without success."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

Go America! Give those people freedom to fuck up their kids!
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I wonder if they're in some way connected to Hansmeister who was born in Germany and homeschooled.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Political asylum sounds kinda silly in this case.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Win-win.  Germany gets rid of a group of dangerous lunatics, the family gets to ruin their children's lives in the manner that is traditional to them, and the US gets to show off how Christian they are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Incredibly bad decision; makes a mockery of the meaning of "persecution" and simply invites people to avoid immigration rulesby claiming bogus religious "freedoms."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I agree, it's a win-win for both.  Lunatics in Germany are cream of the crop in Tennessee.  I bet the average IQ in both places went up after they moved.

Ed Anger

Sound like good folks. The republic needs cannon fodder.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2010, 01:28:47 PM
I agree, it's a win-win for both.  Lunatics in Germany are cream of the crop in Tennessee.  I bet the average IQ in both places went up after they moved.

It at least increases the gene pool.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

Asylum is silly, but not allowing home-schooling is worse.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I disagree with that.  I think asylum is appropriate for majority of people wanting to homeschool their children.