jimmy olsen

Poor Tamas.  :(

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/04/03/1878205.aspx

QuoteHungary on the 'brink of ruin'
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:09 AM
Filed Under: On Assignment
Reporter's Notebook

By Jim Maceda, NBC News Correspondent

BUDAPEST – If anyone wonders how bad the economic crisis is in Europe, consider this: While shooting a story in Budapest, last week we parked our vehicle on a street in a part of town that has fallen on hard times.

Our translator, Andras Krucsai, suggested we not stray too far from the car. But it was broad daylight. And we weren't headed far enough away to lose sight of the vehicle.

Still, within no more than three minutes, vandals struck, seemingly out of nowhere. In a blur, two teenagers broke the glass and grabbed our GPS navigational device, which was sure to fetch good money on the black market. They'd disappeared by the time we ran the distance – around 300 yards – screaming all the way back.

''I saw them clearly,'' said Andras, who owned the car, brushing glass shards from the front seat. ''Just kids, 16 or 17, but you know it's gonna happen more and more often. It's gonna be worse and worse.''

Eastern Europe's shining light
Pal Serge, 38, would agree. We met him at a busy subway station on Moscow Square, in downtown Budapest, standing in near-freezing cold with a couple of dozen other unemployed men. They were looking for any kind of day labor.

Serge, a forklift driver, had recently returned from a bus trip to England. He couldn't find work there either. ''I think if it continues like this much longer, you'll see anger, even violence, in the streets,'' he said.

Not long ago, Hungary was Eastern Europe's shining light, the one former Communist nation that was destined to catch up to its richer, Western European neighbors. Hungarians were egged on by their government to consume with abandon – to buy that new foreign car or take out a low-interest home mortgage, in euros, while resting assured that German or Austrian banks would guarantee the loans.

Similar thinking was used to justify tens of millions of euros in generous subsidies to pensioners, families with children, and the unemployed. After all, Europe wouldn't turn a cold shoulder on a country that was on a fast track into the Eurozone, that club of 19 countries that use the euro as the national currency.

So Hungary spent, and the European Union covered the bulging deficit – until, that is, the financial crisis struck like a perfect storm. Today, Hungary is the EU's most indebted member.

Now on the 'brink of ruin'
''It went on a spending spree and a borrowing spree when times were good and now Hungary is really on the edge of insolvency," said British economist and historian Niall Ferguson. ''It's a little bit like a Latin American economy. It's spent itself to the brink of ruin.''

As the economic crisis evolved, the Western European banks ran out of credit and Hungary's currency, the forint, crashed, effectively tripling those euro car and home loans. And suddenly construction workers like 25-year-old Shandar Barnoi, who had only known the steady climb of prosperity, were hit by two crises – Hungary's and Europe's.

''I have no idea what happened,'' Barnoi said. ''All I know is that I haven't found any work for weeks and it's getting harder on my family.''

Drive down any street in Budapest and you'll see boarded-up shops, peeling paint and "For Sale" signs. We came across one new, unsold high-rise development that was standing right next to an abandoned site, now just a foundation of concrete and protruding steel rods, all flooded in sewer water and debris. It could have been a metaphor for what's become of Hungary's middle-class dreams.

Inflation has driven produce prices up so high that it's cheaper to import Turkish or Moroccan fruit and vegetables. And what about beef, that key ingredient in Hungarian goulash?

''I haven't sold more than 10 euros [about $13.00] of meat all day,'' said one normally busy butcher.

Many Hungarians who took out those euro-based mortgages – like truck driver Ishtvan Hatosh – have had to cut back on meat and other products in a desperate attempt to hold onto their homes.

''We've had to deny ourselves to pay back the loan," said Hatosh. ''Food, entertainment, vacation, travel – it's financial chaos for us now.''

'A very unpleasant problem'
Can Hungary avoid going bankrupt? Probably just barely, with international help.

The International Monetary Fund has already lent the country $16 billion in emergency funds. Also, Thursday's announcement at the G-20 Conference of $1 trillion in additional funding for the IMF could make a difference for emerging economies like Hungary's, but it will take months, or more, for any new loans to be approved. And Hungary will eventually have to pay them all back.

Meanwhile, those once rich EU banks in Germany and Austria now have their own empty pockets to deal with – they aren't likely to return to the old days of bailouts and spending bubbles anytime soon.

''Unfortunately this is a very unpleasant problem that almost certainly has to get worse before it gets better," said William Browder, CEO of Hermitage Funds and an expert in Central and Eastern Europe investment.

But not all is gloom and doom in what was once the heart of an empire. Some Hungarian analysts, like the Open Society Institute's Kristof Varga, believe there's a silver lining in this crisis if politicians can find the courage to reform Hungary's deficit spending, no matter how painful that is. He thinks that this could be a moment of truth.

''Economists have been saying we need to cut back for years, that we should reform the system because it's going to crash. Well now it's crashed. So there's no argument anymore that we don't do this, because we have to,'' he said.

'Never really a dream'
Still, most Hungarians just laughed when we asked if they could afford more cutbacks.

"Janos Kadar [the former Communist header] was better for us,'' said Hatosh, the truck driver, sitting on a tiny bed inside his 200 square foot studio apartment, the one he's struggling to keep. ''People were happier. Calmer. The situation was much better back then.''

Perhaps Andras, our translator, best summed-up the frustration that people here are feeling.

''It was never really a dream for us in Hungary. Even in the good times we were always promised that things would get better, in two or three years. Now we're in about the fifth 'two or three years.' We never seem to get there.''

Jim Maceda is an NBC News correspondent based in London. He was recently on assignment in Budapest, Hungary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Why do we care?

I mean, besides Tamas, who can easily sail away towards the setting sun.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Meanwhile, Polish economy is being forecasted as the only EU economy to experience growth in 2009, and the Warsaw Stock Exchange index has gone up by 7% yesterday.  :cool:

Last month, when the EU prime ministers met to discuss economic crisis and Hungary tried to get the EBRD to assign money to the "Central and Eastern Europe" Poland and Czech Republic opposed this vocally, saying that we are quite fine, thank you very much, and don't need any aid. Fortunately, this worked and we stopped being seen as being in the same basket as silly Hungarians.

I am not sure if the article is saying that (didn't read it) but the problem with Hungary is that their economy did not really do a big leap after 1989, but sort of continued to evolve from the communist economy. In the era of the universal boom, they could sustain themselves, but not anymore. Meanwhile, Poland had very harsh economy reforms done in early 1990s (which resulted in inflation in the area of over 100% p.a. initially and unemployment over 20%) but now it fucking works.

So please don't think that only because we are all ex-commies, we have the same problems. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 07:29:39 PM
So please don't think that only because we are all ex-commies, we have the same problems. :P
Except the ticking time bomb of FX denominated mortgages.  You should give some thought to swapping out Marty.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2009, 07:33:27 PM
Except the ticking time bomb of FX denominated mortgages.  You should give some thought to swapping out Marty.
Actually, the currency is moving back to normal.

That being said, I'm debt-free. I prepaid my mortgage at the height of zloty's value. :p

Tamas

The problem isnt with industrial output or somesuch, but as the article clearly says, debt is the problem, and the fact that beside that debt, huge taxes and wealth redistribution is needed to sustain the insane social welfare shit we have going on, so now that we are neck-deep in shit, there is no real room to manouver because you have millions of poor people accustomed to get by on various state grants.

The new PM (if he really gets named) will supposedly make HUGE spending cuts, which can in theory save us. But I suspect the opposition for this will be massive, and the cut in spending should be accompanied by tax cuts.

Tamas

And Marty that 7% stock exchange raise one day was a global thing.

Sheilbh

The author of the article seems to think Hungary is synecdoche for all of Europe.  If you want to know how bad the situation is in Europe go to a small country with existing economic problems on the fringes of Europe :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Meanwhile, Polish economy is being forecasted as the only EU economy to experience growth in 2009, and the Warsaw Stock Exchange index has gone up by 7% yesterday.  :cool:

I blaim jews.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2009, 08:15:04 PM
The author of the article seems to think Hungary is synecdoche for all of Europe.  If you want to know how bad the situation is in Europe go to a small country with existing economic problems on the fringes of Europe :huh:

Well, Iceland, Hungary, Romania, Ukraine, potentially Slovakia - you all will have problems if these collapse

citizen k

"For every tree is judged by its fruit."

Syt

Better to be on the brink of ruin than to be on the drink of urine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alatriste

Yeah, the reporter has a _BIG_ axe to grind.

First, he takes Hungary as a good example of how all of Europe is coping with the crisis. Wrong, Hungary had very deep problems before (a pity we can't access that Tama 'Great Hungarian Politics thread' anymore). To say that it was "Eastern Europe's shining light" is pathetic.

Second, he blames EU. Wrong again, that part about "European Union covered the bulging deficit" if not a blatant lie, clearly shows that the reporter hasn't got the slightest idea about how EU works. The Union provides money for public works and directly to the farmers, but when states spend in other areas, EU is not involved.

Third (perhaps I should have put this first) they go to one of the worst parts of a city, leave their car parked with an expensive GPS device in full sight, and then thiefs strike. Oh, how deeply surprising. Shocking indeed... the only really astonishing part is that they were able to see anything from 300 yards away and why did they bother running at all. Trying to catch young thiefs that flee with something so light and small as a GPS and have a 300 yards advantage? Pleaseeeee....

And Fourth, when they needed an expert, who did they call? No one else than Niall Ferguson, not exactly a great expert on Eastern Europe Economies. What he said, that "''It went on a spending spree and a borrowing spree when times were good and now Hungary is really on the edge of insolvency," is just nothing, a mere commonplace, but adding this ''It's a little bit like a Latin American economy. It's spent itself to the brink of ruin.'' brings his opinion to the point where it becomes amusing. Good ol'Niall at his worst....

I rest my case.

Mikael Hakim

The article comments on the msnbc site are positvely disgusting. Americans, you've outdone BBC have your say!

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2009, 07:57:34 PM
and the cut in spending should be accompanied by tax cuts.

How will that get rid of your debt?
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach