German rock band Scorpions retire after five decades

Started by Duque de Bragança, January 25, 2010, 07:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2010, 10:23:24 AM

Of course it's rather ironic that they use artsists like The Stones, Prince and The Who when thinking of bands that won't shock or offend. :ph34r:

Dr. Dre now shills for Dr. Pepper and Ice Cube has starred in a children's movie.  No matter how controversial you once were, if you live long enough then you become the establishment.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

:( I especially miss their tasteful Virgin Killer cover art. Bands today have no class.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on January 25, 2010, 12:30:38 PM
:( I especially miss their tasteful Virgin Killer cover art. Bands today have no class.

Do they still print the original one like that? (the original had a young girl naked on the cover), but I'm pretty sure by the time I started buying records they changed it (at least the Canadian version).
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2010, 10:23:24 AM
Of course it's rather ironic that they use artsists like The Stones, Prince and The Who when thinking of bands that won't shock or offend. :ph34r:
Eventually, the rebelious kids who listened to their music grew up to become the Establishment.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2010, 11:01:42 AM
I have no strong opinion on the issue, because I didn't follow them much. I'm not a follower of music news overall or who releases what and when.

Sidenote: the hockey team in their hometown are the Hanover Scorpions (or were? I don't follow hockey, either :P ).

Hannover ? The Scorpions could have then sung in perfect standard German in theory  :D
According to wikipedia, it's Scorpions for Ice Hockey and Hurricanes for inline Hockey  :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2010, 09:01:02 AM
Speaking of geriatric bands, what genius came up with the idea for The Who to play at the Superbowl?

The same babyboomers that are still in charge at the executive level.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 25, 2010, 10:25:23 AM
Good. They are useless. I've had the misfortune to hear their newer "music".

Scorpions.  So 1985.  Gee, lemme break out my Huffy bike while we're at it.