German rock band Scorpions retire after five decades

Started by Duque de Bragança, January 25, 2010, 07:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

QuoteGerman rock band Scorpions have announced they will break up after a career spanning over 40 years.

Best known for their European hit single Wind of Change, a statement on the band's website read: "We agree we have reached the end of the road."

The group say they will release a final album - Sting in the Tail - in March before embarking on a farewell tour.

The band was founded by guitarist Rudolf Schenker, 61, in 1965 in Hanover.

"We want to end the Scorpion's extraordinary career on a high note", the band said on the website.

"We finish our career with an album we consider to be one of the best we have ever recorded."

The tour will start in Prague on 15 March and go round the world "over the next few years" and the album will be released on 19 March.

The current line-up is Klaus Meine, Matthias Jabs, Rudolf Schenker, Pawel Maciwoda and James Kottak.

Scorpions have released more than 20 albums since they started out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8478359.stm

Not a moment too soon will say some (Syt ?). They had become more and more famous for their cheesy ballads sadly but they could put a real hard rock/metal performance once in a while such as in Wacken to be honest.

IN CAVDA VENENVM seems appropriate  :D

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Speaking of geriatric bands, what genius came up with the idea for The Who to play at the Superbowl?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2010, 09:01:02 AM
Speaking of geriatric bands, what genius came up with the idea for The Who to play at the Superbowl?

Same genius who got  Bruce Springsteen to do it last year I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2010, 09:01:02 AM
The Superbowl is on CBS.  Someone there must be a fan, because three-quarters of their shows have theme songs by The Who.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 09:05:15 AM
:huh: Springsteen puts on a hell of a stage show (seen him in concert twice myself).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2010, 09:08:31 AM
The Superbowl is on CBS.  Someone there must be a fan, because three-quarters of their shows have theme songs by The Who.
Their music is great.  I just don't look forward to the spectacle of a bald toothless Pete Townshend hopping around on stage.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on January 25, 2010, 09:12:15 AM
:huh: Springsteen puts on a hell of s stage show (seen him in concert twice myself).

Hey I enjoyed it tremendously but there is no doubt he would have been a much bigger pick for Super Bowl XXIII than he was in Super Bowl XLIII.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 09:13:55 AM
:huh: Springsteen puts on a hell of s stage show (seen him in concert twice myself).

Hey I enjoyed it tremendously but there is no doubt he would have been a much bigger pick for Super Bowl XXIII than he was in Super Bowl XLIII.
After the 'wardrobe malfunction', there has been enormous pressure to select aging acts incapable of generating controversy.

Ever since that, they've done Paul McCartney, the Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and now The Who.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Maybe they should book those Up With America wackos again.

Caliga

I would like to see David Allan Coe do the Super Bowl halftime show.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2010, 09:36:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 09:13:55 AM

After the 'wardrobe malfunction', there has been enormous pressure to select aging acts incapable of generating controversy.

Ever since that, they've done Paul McCartney, the Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and now The Who.

Of course it's rather ironic that they use artsists like The Stones, Prince and The Who when thinking of bands that won't shock or offend. :ph34r:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Good. They are useless. I've had the misfortune to hear their newer "music".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I have no strong opinion on the issue, because I didn't follow them much. I'm not a follower of music news overall or who releases what and when.

Sidenote: the hockey team in their hometown are the Hanover Scorpions (or were? I don't follow hockey, either :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

I saw the Scorpions in the 90's.  They rocked me like a hurricane.

Actually I was there to see Alice Cooper who always is a treat.  I thought the Scorpion's put on a decent show.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock