Ironic Story of the Day: Repair of Ozone Layer Will Accelerate Global Warming

Started by stjaba, January 25, 2010, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

With the environment, even when you win, you lose. :p

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/science/earth/26ozone.html?hp=&pagewanted=print

The Ozone Hole Is Mending. Now for the 'But.'
By SINDYA N. BHANOO

That the hole in Earth's ozone layer is slowly mending is considered a big victory for environmental policy makers. But in a new report, scientists say there is a downside: its repair may contribute to global warming.

It turns out that the hole led to the formation of moist, brighter-than-usual clouds that shielded the Antarctic region from the warming induced by greenhouse gas emissions over the last two decades, scientists write in Wednesday's issue of Geophysical Research Letters.

"The recovery of the hole will reverse that," said Ken Carslaw, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of Leeds and a co-author of the paper. "Essentially, it will accelerate warming in certain parts of the Southern Hemisphere."

The hole in the layer, discovered above Antarctica in the mid-1980s, caused wide alarm because ozone plays a crucial role in protecting life on Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation.

The hole was largely attributed to the human use of chlorofluorocarbons, chemical compounds found in refrigerants and aerosol cans that dissipate ozone. Under an international protocol adopted in 1987, many countries phased out the compounds, helping the ozone to start reconstituting itself over the Antarctic.

For their research, the authors of the new study relied on meteorological data recorded between 1980 and 2000, including global wind speeds recorded by the European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.

The data show that the hole in the ozone layer generated high-speed winds that caused sea salt to be swept up into the atmosphere to form moist clouds. The clouds reflect more of the sun's powerful rays and help fend off warming in the Antarctic atmosphere, the scientists write.

The sea spray influx resulted in an increase in cloud droplet concentration of about 46 percent in some regions of the Southern Hemisphere, Dr. Carslaw said.

But Judith Perlwitz, a University of Colorado professor and a research scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said that although the paper's data were sound, she questioned the conclusions.

Even as the ozone layer recovers, greenhouse gas emissions are expected to expand, she said. She predicted that the rise in temperatures would cause wind speeds to increase over time and have the same cloud-forming effect that the ozone hole now has.

"The question is whether the wind is really going to slow down, and that I doubt," she said.

"The future is not just determined by the recovery of the ozone hole," she said. "We're also increasing our use of greenhouse gases, which increases the speed of the winds all year long."

Dr. Perlwitz also pointed out that the ozone hole was not expected to fully recover to pre-1980 levels until at least 2060, according to the World Meteorological Organization's most recent report on the issue.

Neil

Given that the Southern Hemisphere is the one that we want devastated by global warming, hooray?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Watch when we stop CO2 emissions plants will suffer massive die offs from lack of CO2.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 09:18:43 PM
Watch when we stop CO2 emissions plants will suffer massive die offs from lack of CO2.
I would be terribly surprised.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BVN

Vricklund

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2010, 01:29:23 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2010, 09:57:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 09:18:43 PM
I would be terribly surprised.
Also dead.
Why would I die?  I don't believe in that sort of thing.  Clever science will save me, just as it always does.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Cecil

And if we destroyed the ozone layer would that improve the greenhouse problem?

I fail to see the problem here. :rolleyes:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2010, 04:39:15 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 28, 2010, 01:48:31 PMGainsville? That sounds gay as fuck.

Fuck doesn't have to be gay, Siege.

Somehow, I think that kind of first-second grade logic might be a little advanced for Siege.
Experience bij!