News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Pushes New Bank Regulations

Started by Savonarola, January 21, 2010, 01:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2010, 03:14:30 PM
AIG's losses were primarily due to its massive CDS exposure.

Subprime was really just the canary in the coal mine.  If you recall, about a year ago I posted some of the OECD analyses of credit losses - subprime accounted only for a fraction of the estimated credit losses (unrealized).  The significance of subprime was that b/c it had the weakest collateral, it was the first to be affected by the panic.  The only reason the rest didn't follow was b/c of a massive, unprecdented stabilization by Treasury and Fed + a certain degree of forbearance in strict application of mark-to-market principles while the federal intervention could be felt.
Did AIG suffer massive losses in CDS covering some sort of default aside from subprime mortgages?  If so, that's interesting to know but I don't really see how it relates to the issue of who should pay for the bailout of AIG, GM, and Chrysler.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2010, 03:26:18 PM
Did AIG suffer massive losses in CDS covering some sort of default aside from subprime mortgages? 

Yes IIRC their CDS portfolio was primarily insuring corporate bonds.

QuoteIf so, that's interesting to know but I don't really see how it relates to the issue of who should pay for the bailout of AIG, GM, and Chrysler.

The government paid for those bailouts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2010, 04:24:20 PM
I don't get it.  This thread is about a special tax on the 100 largest financial institutions to help pay for the bailout.  Either you are being uncharacteristically dense or stratospherically clever.

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2010, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on January 21, 2010, 08:56:52 PM
The problem is that the "tax" is a bill of Attainder and clearly unconstitutional.  if only the president had studied constitutional law at an Ivy league university and taught constitutional law at the university level he might know that.  :D

This is just too funny - Hans is now aligning himself with the his constitutional lawyers friends at ACORN:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/conlaw/2009/12/acorn-defunding-is-a-bill-of-attainder-court-enjoins-the-continuining-appropriate-resolution-barring.html
I love the way you complete sidestepped the Constitutional issue.  I guess they didn't teach the Constitution in your law school either?

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 22, 2010, 04:39:56 PM
I love the way you complete sidestepped the Constitutional issue.  I guess they didn't teach the Constitution in your law school either?
Given how rarely taxation and regulation have been overturned as bills of attainder, I rather doubt it is as clearcut as you seem to think.  Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

But I am the LORD your God.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

When you have a Supreme Court filled with right wing judicial activists, past precedent is irrelevant.

alfred russel

Yi, isn't SunTrust still going strong?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2010, 10:30:49 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 21, 2010, 09:26:48 PM
Why not empower regulators to nationalize banks that are "too big to fail", which would wipe out equity holders but still allow the company to function and not ruin counterparties, and then allocate any government loss to debt holders?
The problem to me seems to be that once you write off those debts, another set of balance sheets is suddenly in grave danger.  This can go on until everyone is crushed in a deleveraging spiral.

I disagree--not everyone's balance sheet was in grave danger. In those cases, you end up transferring taxpayer wealth to corporate shareholders. Not to mention that American taxpayers end up bailing out a bunch of foreign entities.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2010, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2010, 04:24:20 PM
I don't get it.  This thread is about a special tax on the 100 largest financial institutions to help pay for the bailout.  Either you are being uncharacteristically dense or stratospherically clever.

I thought the thread was about the new regulatory proposals, not the "levy"

The Obama tax proposal as I understand it is simply a tax on financial institution liabilities, with a credit for bank deposits.  To the extent the tax based on the premise the government has become the lender of last resort to the financial industry, to the considerable benefit of that industry, and to the considerable hazard of the government, the tax makes a certain sense.  The idea is that banks should pay a fee for the implicit insurance they are receiving in proportion to their exposure (liabilities) - just like the FDIC charges fees for its explicit insurance.  Indeed, that is the very reason for giving the credit for deposits - they are already "taxed" by the FDIC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on January 22, 2010, 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on January 22, 2010, 04:39:56 PM
Given how rarely taxation and regulation have been overturned as bills of attainder, I rather doubt it is as clearcut as you seem to think.  Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

But I am the LORD your God.

And in this case your omniscience trumps your lack of a specialized qualification. 
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 22, 2010, 05:43:03 PM
Yi, isn't SunTrust still going strong?
I might have gotten the name wrong.  Who gave Dodd his VIP mortgage?

Fate

Countrywide?

It's now known as Bank of America Home Loans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2010, 05:57:00 PM
I thought the thread was about the new regulatory proposals, not the "levy"

The Obama tax proposal as I understand it is simply a tax on financial institution liabilities, with a credit for bank deposits.  To the extent the tax based on the premise the government has become the lender of last resort to the financial industry, to the considerable benefit of that industry, and to the considerable hazard of the government, the tax makes a certain sense.  The idea is that banks should pay a fee for the implicit insurance they are receiving in proportion to their exposure (liabilities) - just like the FDIC charges fees for its explicit insurance.  Indeed, that is the very reason for giving the credit for deposits - they are already "taxed" by the FDIC.
It makes a certain amount of sense if in exchange for the new tax on liabilities the banks recieve a de jure or de facto promise of future bailouts.  But the language Obama has been using is that the tax is to pay back the money spent on this bailout.

Admiral Yi

Third day in a row the market is tanking. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2010, 10:10:12 AM
Third day in a row the market is tanking. :(

I'm getting a little pissed off now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive