24, Season 8 - Spoilers allowed and welcome

Started by viper37, January 20, 2010, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So, how did you like the first 4hrs?

Although I wasn't really surprised by Rennee's action once she picked the buffer, I never thought she'd actually do it :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

citizen k

Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2010, 07:58:05 PM
So, how did you like the first 4hrs?

Although I wasn't really surprised by Rennee's action once she picked the buffer, I never thought she'd actually do it :D

Jack created a monster.

Eddie Teach

I think it was a strategic mistake on the part of the network to air those 4 episodes as a block. It feels like the first issue has been resolved and there's not much of a hook into the next segment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 20, 2010, 08:15:40 PM
I think it was a strategic mistake on the part of the network to air those 4 episodes as a block. It feels like the first issue has been resolved and there's not much of a hook into the next segment.
well last year, they arrested Tony Almeda after the initial 4hrs, after he had crashed an airplane.  But they came back with something new.  I'm confident about this season being as exciting as the other ones.  Every year, we think they can't do it again, yet they do :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

24 is a great, fast-paced, exciting show. Probably the best on network television.

As long as you don't fret too much over the plot holes (How can Rene and Jack possibly go undercover--they were both on the news last year during the Hearings)--Rene's been a high profile FBI agent...surely one Russian mafia dude knows that....Didn't the Paki president brother panic a bit too early, just to advance the plotline? How much radiation does a person have to have not to get violently sick, but still trigger off alarms? etc. etc....as long as we don't worry too much over that, it's a wonderful, escapist show. I've been an avid fan since the beginning.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

The brother panicked too early, yes.  He should have waited to make his exit.
I don't remember about Renee and Jack being on the news, but it really depends when her previous undercover work was.
As for the alarms, it really depends on how sensitive they are.  I suppose that CTU has a lower tolerance for that sort of thing, or they guy had access to meds the mafia son did not get (wich would be surprising, or a big plothole).

It is also possible the man was only recently exposed to the radiation and did not yet develop the symptoms.  Though Mason in Day 2 seemed to develop the symptoms quite quickly.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I am enjoying the show so far.  One nagging plot hole for me though was that they have all this fancy face recognition software.  If they had just run the shot of the assassin getting out of the cab at the reporters apartment they would have seen that he was also a "cop" and the investigation would have taken a completely different turn and the assassination attempt would have been foiled.

Eddie Teach

Well, as happens pretty much every season, the head of CTU is a tool who doesn't listen to good advice so they didn't have the full resources of the department to work that angle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Did I miss something? Did that Russian dude with the bad accent's hand grow back? Did they glue it back? Soldered it?
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Oh...and the whole idea of Starbuck having a criminal record and working for CTU.  :bleeding:

You'd think CTU would have learned how to do background checks by now, given all the moles they've had in key positions in the past?
Civis Romanus Sum

citizen k

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2010, 02:13:44 PM
Oh...and the whole idea of Starbuck having a criminal record and working for CTU.  :bleeding:

You'd think CTU would have learned how to do background checks by now, given all the moles they've had in key positions in the past?

She was a minor, so her record might be sealed.

Josephus

It's Fucking CTU...they torture people, they're not going to worry about sealed records. If someone was a criminal, does time, and changes her name, they're gonna know.
Civis Romanus Sum