Iowa court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

Started by garbon, April 03, 2009, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 10:14:57 AMHate better generates the type of outrage that fuels politics in the US better than love.

My thought on this has always been, "Hey, religious weirdos, get your fucking nose out of other people's bedrooms."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 09:55:59 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 09:51:12 AM
Given that Iowa is rather conservative (though it did vote for Obama) I expect a rather vicious reaction from a large portion of the state's voters.

They have nothing to worry about.  The head bigot in charge will veto the gay marriage bill and the house has just enough bigot support to uphold the veto.

Then yea, bigotry! :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 10:18:44 AM
My thought on this has always been, "Hey, religious weirdos, get your fucking nose out of other people's bedrooms."

They need to keep their bedrooms out of our laws... or something :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 10:23:35 AMThey need to keep their bedrooms out of our laws... or something :unsure:

Would you be in favor of a repeal of ALL laws related to marriage?  I would actually prefer that scenario, since it would allow gays to do whatever they want (which I'm in favor of) and just move government one step closer to getting out of the morality legislation business altogether.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Berkut

This is awesome.

Mainly because it means that a state where gay marriage is very unpopular amongst the masses will have to deal with it for some time. And it is coming down from where it *should* come down - as a constitutional issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2009, 10:14:00 AM
As well they should.  I'd spend huge amounts of money to destroy my enemies too.

Well yes but you also consider the poor your enemies.
To some extent.  They can live if they go about their doomed little lives quietly.  Gays refuse to do that, and so must be exterminated.  Then, we must cure the genes that cause homosexuality, and thus free the future.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Good for Iowa.

In more local news, a perhaps-less-spectacular court victory, but a victory nonetheless. A Polish high admnistrative court has ruled it is illegal for Polish authorities to refuse to give "certificates of eligibility to marry" (which is like a birth certificate, with some extra info written in) to Polish citizens who want to enter into legal same sex marriages abroad.

In other news, the European Parliament has approved a regulation proposal that will make it illegal to discriminate on the grounds of creed, ethnics, race, gender, sexual orientation and age in access to services and goods, as well as employment (until now it was only illegal to discriminate in employment). The Polish government has stated it will support the adoption of the regulation. When passed it will be illegal for private entities to, e.g. discriminate with respect to offering services or goods, or more importantly, it will also be illegal e.g. to discriminate when it comes to renting accommodations etc. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Phillip V

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on April 03, 2009, 12:13:12 PM
Is Yi rioting in the streets?
Give me just a few minutes more to finish my giant puppet.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 10:51:12 AM
I'm trying to give you an out dude. :(

I'd rather just play the raving homophobe role that's been laid out for me ;)