Iowa court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

Started by garbon, April 03, 2009, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 01:05:00 PM
I'd rather just play the raving homophobe role that's been laid out for me ;)

You've already done enough. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 10:18:44 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 10:14:57 AMHate better generates the type of outrage that fuels politics in the US better than love.

My thought on this has always been, "Hey, religious weirdos, get your fucking nose out of other people's bedrooms."

For 30 years or so, people had the idea that what 2 consenting adults do in private is not the business of the state presented to them by the gay rights movement and others who wanted to do away with a lot of conventional sexual morality.  And most people I think have come to agree with that idea.  But from that perspective, now the gay rights movement wants to very much make it the state's business by giving official government sanction to same-sex marriages.

And to answer the question you posed to derspiess, I wouldn't have any problem with doing away with all laws relating to marriage--though I would point out that that would require a lot of revision to tons of laws that don't have anything to do directly with sexual mores or behavior, such as inheritance and tax laws.  (It would actually work out real well with my ideas about how the income tax system should be reformed, but that's a completely differeent story).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: dps on April 03, 2009, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 10:14:57 AMHate better generates the type of outrage that fuels politics in the US better than love.

My thought on this has always been, "Hey, religious weirdos, get your fucking nose out of other people's bedrooms."

For 30 years or so, people had the idea that what 2 consenting adults do in private is not the business of the state presented to them by the gay rights movement and others who wanted to do away with a lot of conventional sexual morality.  And most people I think have come to agree with that idea.  But from that perspective, now the gay rights movement wants to very much make it the state's business by giving official government sanction to same-sex marriages.

And to answer the question you posed to derspiess, I wouldn't have any problem with doing away with all laws relating to marriage--though I would point out that that would require a lot of revision to tons of laws that don't have anything to do directly with sexual mores or behavior, such as inheritance and tax laws.  (It would actually work out real well with my ideas about how the income tax system should be reformed, but that's a completely differeent story).
The "state should get out of marriage business" argument is a strawman. It will never happen.

There are many rights and privileges awarded to married couples, because the state sees stable monogamous relationships of two people as important building blocks of the society.

If you consider homosexuality to be wrong, evil, sinful, immoral or otherwise undesirable, then yes, you should be against gay marriage, and possible should join up with the Westboro Baptist Church, because they are at least honest in what they feel and do.

If you think that being gay is ok, then there is really no rational argument against allowing same-sex couples the same rights and privileges as heterosexual couples enjoy.

Reducing same sex relationships to sexual conduct is also quite moronic - and to be honest I expected more of you. You are married, aren't you? Do you consider your relationship with your wife to be limited to what you do "in the privacy of your home"? Do you not wear a wedding ring? Do you never mention your wife (or kids, if any) to anyone? Do you never hold hands with your wife in public? Etc.

Heterosexual couples are NOT limiting themselves to the privacy of their homes when it comes to expressing their status. If the best the public can offer same sex couples is doing what we want "in the privacy of our homes", then go fuck yourself. We don't want to be second class citizens.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 02:44:24 PMThe "state should get out of marriage business" argument is a strawman. It will never happen.

I agree... I was merely thinking wishfully.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 02:46:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 02:44:24 PMThe "state should get out of marriage business" argument is a strawman. It will never happen.

Libertarians shall never rule. BWHAHAHAHA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 02:46:34 PM

I disagree. I think the society has a vested interest in promoting stable relationships between people (as long as it does not lose sight of individual rights of people involved and does not force them to stay in relationships against their will). This interest is there whether the couple of same sex or different sex.

derspiess

That was a Grade A Marty rant.  Well, it's a B+ anyway. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 02:49:59 PM
I disagree. I think the society has a vested interest in promoting stable relationships between people (as long as it does not lose sight of individual rights of people involved and does not force them to stay in relationships against their will). This interest is there whether the couple of same sex or different sex.

So you think gays are so weak-minded that they need government to encourage them to enter stable relationships?  Interesting.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 02:51:10 PM

So you think gays are so weak-minded that they need government to encourage them to enter stable relationships?  Interesting.
It seems the government is doing that to heterosexual couples. Are you assuming that gays are in fact exhibiting super-human strength of will, compared to heterosexuals? Interesting.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 02:50:05 PM
That was a Grade A Marty rant.  Well, it's a B+ anyway.
Maybe a C, at best.  He didn't sound tearful at all.  A little whiny, but the very best Martinus rants can all be summarized as 'Wahhhh!'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 02:44:24 PM
Quote from: dps on April 03, 2009, 01:52:56 PM

The "state should get out of marriage business" argument is a strawman. It will never happen.

There are many rights and privileges awarded to married couples, because the state sees stable monogamous relationships of two people as important building blocks of the society.

If you consider homosexuality to be wrong, evil, sinful, immoral or otherwise undesirable, then yes, you should be against gay marriage, and possible should join up with the Westboro Baptist Church, because they are at least honest in what they feel and do.

If you think that being gay is ok, then there is really no rational argument against allowing same-sex couples the same rights and privileges as heterosexual couples enjoy.

Reducing same sex relationships to sexual conduct is also quite moronic - and to be honest I expected more of you. You are married, aren't you? Do you consider your relationship with your wife to be limited to what you do "in the privacy of your home"? Do you not wear a wedding ring? Do you never mention your wife (or kids, if any) to anyone? Do you never hold hands with your wife in public? Etc.

Heterosexual couples are NOT limiting themselves to the privacy of their homes when it comes to expressing their status. If the best the public can offer same sex couples is doing what we want "in the privacy of our homes", then go fuck yourself. We don't want to be second class citizens.

Well, the "state getting out of marriage business" isn't a strawman--it was an answer to a direct question posed to derspiess.  And I agree that it won't happen.

And obviously many rights and priviliges awarded to married couples, which is why I posted that if the state were to get out of the marriage business, then there would have to be revisions to a lot of existing laws if it were to happen (which, again, I agree that it won't--it's a hypothetical).

It's entirely possible to feel that something is wrong, evil, sinful, immoral, or otherwise undesirable without thinking it's an appropriate subject for government regulation--at least if you're a small-government advocate. 

I don't think I posted anything that suggests that same-sex relationships to sexual contact, or things that happen in private.  Sure, I hold hands with my wife in public, but I did that before we were married, too, and same-sex couples don't have to be married to do it either.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 02:51:10 PM

I was going to say that the government would have to force Marty into a stable relationship, not just encourage him, but that's not fair, because it seems like Marty might actually want to a certain extent to be in a stable relationship (though not married). 

The Brain

Iowa. What a dump.

May 1 will see legal gay marriage in Sweden.  :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.