News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Legend of the Seeker

Started by Slargos, January 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

I am at a loss as to how this show has been able to pass under my radar for one and a half season.

It's based on the Sword of truth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth) by Terry Goodkind, which was as far as I can recall a pretty solid series as far as fantasy goes.

I suspect we have LOTR to thank for this surge of books-turned-film that we're seeing lately, all the way down to the imagery used in the starting scenes of the first episode of Legend that could've basically been cut out of one of the Jackson movies.

I am salivating at the prospect of a good show, and I expect there will be more of these in the future, hopefully good ones given the possibilities CGI offers today.

Keeping my fingers crossed.  :sleep:

Darth Wagtaros

It is a piece of shit.  Total piece of shit.  I hate it. 
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on January 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM
It's based on the Sword of truth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth) by Terry Goodkind, which was as far as I can recall a pretty solid series as far as fantasy goes.

You remember incorrectly.  The TV show is better than the books, but that doesn't make it good.

Slargos

Quote from: ulmont on January 18, 2010, 10:20:46 AM

You remember incorrectly.  The TV show is better than the books, but that doesn't make it good.

Granted, I've read so many they all start to blur together, so maybe you're right.  :D

The show thus far is a few notches better than Hercules or Xena, but that's not saying much.

Edit: I don't think I realized when I read it how much of a star wars rip off it is, however. I guess it's hard to write original fiction these days, though.

Slargos

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 18, 2010, 10:14:34 AM
It is a piece of shit.  Total piece of shit.  I hate it.

When you're right, you're right.

Atrocious effects.

Mother fucker.  <_<

Darth Wagtaros

Making good fantasy or sci fi movies/tv is difficult. Dialogue that sounds OK when written sounds horrible when spoken aloud by a guy in cheap costume.
PDH!

Josquius

I've seen it on the listings on the sci fi channel and have maybe seen a advert for it but...yeah. Fantasy on TV generally doesn't work and stuff that goes onto the sci-fi channel and not one of the bigger channels usually sucks (Firefly excluded).
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 18, 2010, 10:53:22 AM
Making good fantasy or sci fi movies/tv is difficult. Dialogue that sounds OK when written sounds horrible when spoken aloud by a guy in cheap costume.

Which is why I've never understood the complaints directors and script writers get when they change the story to suit a different medium.

Viking

It's a mediocre tv show made in xena land. So naturally it looks like LOTR. while teh books are probably really really good, the show suffers from bad writing and bad acting.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

I am at a loss as to how this show has been able to pass under my radar for one and a half season.

I suspect we have LOTR to thank for this surge of books-turned-film that we're seeing lately, all the way down to the imagery used in the starting scenes of the first episode of Legend that could've basically been cut out of one of the Jackson movies.

I am salivating at the prospect of a good show, and I expect there will be more of these in the future, hopefully good ones given the possibilities CGI offers today.

Keeping my fingers crossed.  :sleep:
The first season is hit&miss, the second one is much better imho.

The show takes most of the stories from the books, but it has to cut corners, and die hard fans hate this.  Never got that movie hating stuff.  If a movie follows a book, we blame the movie for lack of realism, lack of historical accuracy or being to long.  While if it doesn't follow the book, it's immediatly a piece crap.

The show isn't so bad.  I never read the book, mind you, I'm not a big fan of fantasy, and I thought LOTR was way too long for nothing.

It's not the best show on tv right now, but it's quite decent and worth to watch.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Korea

I couldn't get through the first episode but I do like the books.  :moon:
I want my mother fucking points!

MadImmortalMan

Bridget Regan is hot.

Looking deeper will be a waste of time, but I admit I've seen it a few times. I read a couple of Goodkind's books, but didn't particularly like them. At least this has nice tits in it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2010, 02:45:54 AM
Bridget Regan is hot.

Looking deeper will be a waste of time, but I admit I've seen it a few times. I read a couple of Goodkind's books, but didn't particularly like them. At least this has nice tits in it.

She is.

The series is better than Xena, though clearly that's not saying much. It does seem to use many of the same elements, hand to hand combat and ridiculous side quests for instance.

viper37

Quote from: Slargos on January 19, 2010, 03:32:10 PM
and ridiculous side quests for instance.
Can't have fantasy stuff without side quests.  That'd be worst than heresy.  I mean, there's an emergency, you need to save the world, and you don't stop anywhere for chitchat?  Fuck that.  Wouldn't work.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

But there is no musical episodes like the Bitter Suite.  Insta-fail for an already suck TV show.
PDH!