News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MLK Day

Started by jimmy olsen, January 18, 2010, 07:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2010, 06:40:18 AM
Yesterday, since she was off for school, I asked my 6 year old niece what she learned about Martin Luther King in school--

"Martin Luther King helped get the black-skinned people and white-skinned people to finally live together, since before there were people that didn't want them living near each other, and that's just silly."

and she also learned about Rosa Parks--

"...and white-skinned people would sit in the front of the bus, and black-skinned people would have to sit in the back.  And also, white-skinned people weren't allowed to use water fountains or bathrooms that black-skinned people used."
Then a pause.
"And actually, that just doesn't make any sense at all."

:lol:
The use "white-skinned" and "black-skinned" now?   :rolleyes:  At least it's not "African-Americans" or "Jewish-Americans" like it was in my time.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 10:13:52 AM
The use "white-skinned" and "black-skinned" now? 

I prefer Melanin-challenged.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 07:45:13 AM
:yes: The Salvation Army has its grubby little hands in all relief efforts of any sort in this area, which frustrates Princesca to no end.

I didn't care for it, but I don't care enough to openly say anything either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 07:45:13 AM
:yes: The Salvation Army has its grubby little hands in all relief efforts of any sort in this area, which frustrates Princesca to no end.

Screw you guys.  The Sally Ann is the only charity that is willing to work with the really unsexy causes, namely dealing with a lot of smelly and drug addicted homeless people.  No one else is willing to do that.  They preach, sure, but they also never turn anyone away because of their faith.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2010, 12:41:13 PM
Screw you guys.  The Sally Ann is the only charity that is willing to work with the really unsexy causes, namely dealing with a lot of smelly and drug addicted homeless people.  No one else is willing to do that.  They preach, sure, but they also never turn anyone away because of their faith.
Maybe that's true where you live, but definitely not true here.  The Red Cross and United Way do lots of direct work with the homeless (UW through a couple of different orgs in this town that they fund), as do a couple of other religious relief orgs (I can't remember all of their names, but one is United Methodist, one is Presbyterian, and one is Southern Baptist).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 12:46:39 PM
Maybe that's true where you live, but definitely not true here. 

In Cincy the militant wing is predominant.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 10:13:52 AMThe use "white-skinned" and "black-skinned" now?   :rolleyes:  At least it's not "African-Americans" or "Jewish-Americans" like it was in my time.

Yes.  It's the color of your skin, it's not who you are.  REJOICE IN LIBRHULISM

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2010, 06:29:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 10:13:52 AMThe use "white-skinned" and "black-skinned" now?   :rolleyes:  At least it's not "African-Americans" or "Jewish-Americans" like it was in my time.

:bleeding: This almost makes me wish for Brown victory tonight, just so that Republicans could go back to running the country.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 07:05:20 PM

:bleeding: This almost makes me wish for Brown victory tonight, just so that Republicans could go back to running the country.

Well you almost got your wish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 07:05:20 PM

I don't get it. What's your problem with the terminology?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Oh please. Harvey Milk? Seriously? :rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jaron on January 20, 2010, 12:46:12 AM
Oh please. Harvey Milk? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Marty saw some flickering lights on the wall of a theater and mistook them for reality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

I was suprised to see Robert E Lee's birthday holiday disrupted by a shooting at appomattox. It seems not quite in keeping with the spirit, uh.

But, I overate chicken and dumplings, fried okra, red beans & rice, with an oversized pitcher of peach sweet tea. The missus is wonderful, and so is our Marble Man.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

My universal translator is broken. WHAT THE FUCK.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive