News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

English question

Started by Zanza, January 14, 2010, 03:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on January 14, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
So, what's the difference between a bedroom, a master room and a common room? The latter sounds like it is used by all persons living in an appartment.  Yet it is on offer to rent in a shared appartment...  :huh:

As others have said, a bedroom is slept in, and a master (bed)room is the largest room in the house (usually with an en suite bathroom). When multiple people rent a house or multiple-bedroom apartment, the common room is the living room that is jointly shared by everyone. It's a pretty common term on and around college campuses for any shared living space.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Alatriste

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2010, 05:41:49 PM
The English question?  How about resettling them in Madagascar?

My first impulse would be voting Aye, but on second thoughts then Scots, Welsh, Irish and French would expand into the void. After conquering a vast enough living room peoples always strive to get an additional bed room.

Zanza

So I got several offers for "common rooms" in shared appartments.

"A big common room in xxx is available for rent at xxx sgd." Or similar. As I somehow doubt they are renting out a couch, I wonder if "common room" in Singaporean English might be something different than a common room in an American dorm. Maybe it is "common" as in not a "master" bedroom, i.e. does not have a bathroom attached?

garbon

Typing common room for rent only yields postings in Singapore.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Sounds like they use different descriptions in Singapore............I hope they don't mean a couch in the living room........it probably means non-self-contained.........shared bathroom kitchen and so on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2010, 02:24:10 PM

"A big common room in xxx is available for rent at xxx sgd." Or similar. As I somehow doubt they are renting out a couch, I wonder if "common room" in Singaporean English might be something different than a common room in an American dorm. Maybe it is "common" as in not a "master" bedroom, i.e. does not have a bathroom attached?
I would call the Singaporean embassy if I were you.

Zanza

I found a rather old Singaporean website that defined a "common room" as a bedroom without attached bathroom. I guess that's what it is. It would just not make any sense otherwise.

Josquius

I have known for Asian students (really poor ones) to turn what should have been the common room in shared rental accomodation into an extra bedroom for one of their number.
I'd hate to be that guy- with the way most houses are set up you'd get people trouncing through your room en route to somewhere else.

There is even one instance that occured in Flogsta - student accomodation where 12 people are on a corridor and have a small living room and kitchen shared- where some Chinese guy started living in their little cold living room because his friends from the corridor (2 in the same room of course) said it was OK (didn't ask the others of course). Which was very odd to say the least.

What is the meaning of this inquiry anyway? You are moving to Singapore Zanza?
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2010, 02:24:10 PM

You didn't mention Singapore before.  They have their own version of English.  Who the fuck knows what they mean.  Sounds like they are using common room as, say, normal/standard room, rather than the way everyone else does.

I wouldn't assume they aren't renting out the couch though. 

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2010, 04:55:05 PM
I have known for Asian students (really poor ones) to turn what should have been the common room in shared rental accomodation into an extra bedroom for one of their number.
I'd hate to be that guy- with the way most houses are set up you'd get people trouncing through your room en route to somewhere else.
Some of those "common rooms" cost 1000 euro per month though so I have to assume it's not just the couch.  :P

QuoteWhat is the meaning of this inquiry anyway? You are moving to Singapore Zanza?
Yes. Just for a few months though.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zanza on January 14, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
So, what's the difference between a bedroom, a master room and a common room? The latter sounds like it is used by all persons living in an appartment.  Yet it is on offer to rent in a shared appartment...  :huh:

Simple answer: Bedroom is where you sleep.  No such thing as "master room;" it's either master bedroom (biggest) or master bath (either adjoining the master bedroom or the biggest bathroom in the house; there's some flexibility there).  "Common room" usually only shows up in dorms or internally integrated apartments; in a house, it'd be akin to either a living room or possibly even a den.
Experience bij!

garbon

I'm glad that Shame can come and give the same wrong advice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2010, 03:42:02 PM
I'm glad that Shame can come and give the same wrong advice.

And I love how you seem to stalk my posts and claim I'm "wrong" without ever explaining.  GFY.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 16, 2010, 10:36:50 PM
And I love how you seem to stalk my posts and claim I'm "wrong" without ever explaining.  GFY.

Oh god, claims about stalking?  Anyway, I'd think it would be obvious if you read the thread. :hug:

Zanza

I rented a common room now. I'll report back whether that's the couch in a student dorm or a real room. :P