News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stoop to conquer - the small change question

Started by Brazen, January 13, 2010, 11:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

If you drop a coin in the street, what is the lowest denomination you'd bother to stop and pick up? I skip over any coppers but I'd waver around the 5p mark depending on what cash I have with me.

I'll answer for Mono too: I pick up anything, including what other people have dropped. It all mounts up. :P

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

syk

DisturbedPervert

Slargos

Pick up most stuff I drop. Not because I would miss that particular coin, but because of general standards when it comes to littering.

A more pertinent question is the lowest denomination of coin you will pick up that you simply noticed lying around on the street without an apparent owner.

Alcibiades

If I drop it, usually pick it up depending the situation.  If other people drop it and I see it on the ground later..... maybe a quarter but probably not.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fate

Savonarola

I'll pick up the pennies; here in Detroit people chop down telephone poles to steal the copper inside power transformers.  I just wouldn't be keeping it real if I didn't stoop to pick up copper (or copper plated zinc) coins.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

I'll usually pick up any coin that I drop, or see on the street. Though I may not do so for pennies. But I could always drop a dollar bill down as incentive, so as I'm picking that up I also might as well get the coin too.   ;)

Josquius

Depends on the weather and my current mood.
Sometimes I'll pick up everything, other times when its raining and I'm annoyed I'll ignore copper or perhaps even 5p.

A more pertinent question is the lowest denomination of coin you will pick up that you simply noticed lying around on the street without an apparent owner.
Yep.
Especially since there is a stigma attached to doing that. I remember one time when I found a pound some kids still saw fit to call me a scratter.
50p and above are definates there.
20p is a probally.
10p a maybe.
Below that though and no.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

I pick up any coin that isn't foreign currency.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Brazen

Kids just don't stick coins to the ground as a practical joke these days :(

It probably happens in cottaging venues, though.

BuddhaRhubarb

If it's bigger than a penny and I dropped it. I'll pick it up. otherwise I leave it. Though I often will check a penny if it's tails up I turn it over, head's up and I'm with a friend I give it to them for good luck. To which most people go "Ew gross street penny? how is that good luck?" :p
:p