News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2010, 03:33:40 PM
Not really a Catch-22, because the hospital couldn't have been set up to service those people anyway.  No roads means no hospital to the people, and no people to the hospital.

Not according to the Doctor in Haiti I heard interviewed on the radio this morning.  According to her there had been a plan to bring in equipment and surgeons so that additional critical operations could be performed.  That plan had been delayed because of the logistical bottlenecks that have formed.  The patients are already there and so there is no issue of them getting to the hospital.  What they dont have are the extra surgeons and medical equipment needed to perform all the operations that are needed on an urgent basis.  Apparently a lot of people are dying because they are not getting the suguries they need.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2010, 05:00:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2010, 03:33:40 PM
Not really a Catch-22, because the hospital couldn't have been set up to service those people anyway.  No roads means no hospital to the people, and no people to the hospital.

Not according to the Doctor in Haiti I heard interviewed on the radio this morning.  According to her there had been a plan to bring in equipment and surgeons so that additional critical operations could be performed.  That plan had been delayed because of the logistical bottlenecks that have formed.  The patients are already there and so there is no issue of them getting to the hospital.  What they dont have are the extra surgeons and medical equipment needed to perform all the operations that are needed on an urgent basis.  Apparently a lot of people are dying because they are not getting the suguries they need.
As is to be expected in this sort of situation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: Fate on January 19, 2010, 04:08:17 PM
2013 can't come soon enough!

Fixed. Then we can laugh at all the dopes who thought the world would end.

I can't wait till 2112
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2010, 05:26:00 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: Fate on January 19, 2010, 04:08:17 PM
2013 can't come soon enough!

Fixed. Then we can laugh at all the dopes who thought the world would end.
I can't wait till 2112
Uninteresting.  I'm really looking forward to 20002012.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

It seems that the parents of some college kids that were in the country are getting uppity about the fact that the main thrust of the humanitarian mission hasn't been to locate a few white kids in the middle of the ruins of the country.

Caliga

Another earthquake (6.1 magnitude) just hit Haiti.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2010, 06:46:57 AM

now all buildings have decollapsed...

soit, at least everyone is already there so precious time is not lost.

Neil

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 20, 2010, 06:49:35 AM

A clever tactic, to nail all the first responders and irritating celebrities.  The Earth makes an excellent terrorist.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Neil on January 20, 2010, 07:35:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 20, 2010, 06:49:35 AM

A clever tactic, to nail all the first responders and irritating celebrities.  The Earth makes an excellent terrorist.

that made me laugh... so wrong :p

Caliga

Yeah, but that tactic failed to kill Rosie O'Donnell.  The Earth has failed me. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Damn, can't catch a break.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34928950/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/

QuoteBREAKING NEWS
updated 7:33 a.m. ET Jan. 20, 2010

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A powerful 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti on Wednesday morning, shaking buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets only eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the new quake hit at 6:03 a.m. about 35 miles northwest of the capital of Port-au-Prince. It struck at a depth of 13.7 miles but was too far inland to generate any tidal waves in the Caribbean.

It is not just Haitians questioning why aid has been so slow for victims of one of the worst earthquakes in history — an estimated 200,000 dead, 250,000 injured and 1.5 million homeless. Officials in France and Brazil and aid groups such as Doctors Without Borders have complained of bottlenecks, skewed priorities and a crippling lack of leadership and coordination.

"TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS NEED EMERGENCY SURGICAL CARE NOW!!!!!" said press a release from Partners in Health, co-founded by Dr. Paul Farmer, the deputy U.N. envoy to Haiti. "Our medical director has estimated that 20,000 people are dying each day who could be saved by surgery." No details were provided on how the figure was determined.

That can't possibly be true can it? I'd normally dismiss such a claim out of hand, but being Haiti I'm merely heavily sceptical.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

It can be true. We need to send Alan Alda down there.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2010, 08:13:29 AM
Yeah, but that tactic failed to kill Rosie O'Donnell.  The Earth has failed me. :(

Rosie caused the 6.1 magnitude earthquake when she slipped and fell getting off the plane.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 20, 2010, 08:15:32 AM
Damn, can't catch a break.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34928950/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/

QuoteBREAKING NEWS
updated 7:33 a.m. ET Jan. 20, 2010

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A powerful 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti on Wednesday morning, shaking buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets only eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the new quake hit at 6:03 a.m. about 35 miles northwest of the capital of Port-au-Prince. It struck at a depth of 13.7 miles but was too far inland to generate any tidal waves in the Caribbean.

It is not just Haitians questioning why aid has been so slow for victims of one of the worst earthquakes in history — an estimated 200,000 dead, 250,000 injured and 1.5 million homeless. Officials in France and Brazil and aid groups such as Doctors Without Borders have complained of bottlenecks, skewed priorities and a crippling lack of leadership and coordination.

"TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS NEED EMERGENCY SURGICAL CARE NOW!!!!!" said press a release from Partners in Health, co-founded by Dr. Paul Farmer, the deputy U.N. envoy to Haiti. "Our medical director has estimated that 20,000 people are dying each day who could be saved by surgery." No details were provided on how the figure was determined.

That can't possibly be true can it? I'd normally dismiss such a claim out of hand, but being Haiti I'm merely heavily sceptical.

So, in about 12 days there won't be any injured left to worry about.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on January 20, 2010, 09:21:58 AM
It can be true. We need to send Alan Alda down there.
And BJ, Trapper, and Henry Morgan. 
PDH!